Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2008 Magnum - shifter moves back and forth

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM
BrianGWilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Magnum - shifter moves back and forth

Hi all,
I have a 2008 Magnum 2.7L, bought in 2012, now with 145,000kms (about 90,000 miles).
Last week, with my foot on the brake as usual, I was leaving for work and I shifted out of Park to go into Drive. The shifter moved very freely and went past D into 3. Odd, I thought. Then I realized that the shifter was simply moving back and forth, it wasn't taking the car out of Park. The shifter was not hanging up anywhere, and the trans was holding Park (ie. the car stays put).
I have taken as much of the console apart as I can, and have done many Internet searches, but the main prob with the Magnum shifters is that the little pink thingy breaks and prevents the shifter from coming out of Part. That's not the problem - my shifter moves freely, it just isn't connected to anything any more.
The little pink part seems to be fine, and the rod (that disappears into the front of the console) moves back and forth just fine.
Any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGWilliams
Hi all,
I have a 2008 Magnum 2.7L, bought in 2012, now with 145,000kms (about 90,000 miles).
Last week, with my foot on the brake as usual, I was leaving for work and I shifted out of Park to go into Drive. The shifter moved very freely and went past D into 3. Odd, I thought. Then I realized that the shifter was simply moving back and forth, it wasn't taking the car out of Park. The shifter was not hanging up anywhere, and the trans was holding Park (ie. the car stays put).
I have taken as much of the console apart as I can, and have done many Internet searches, but the main prob with the Magnum shifters is that the little pink thingy breaks and prevents the shifter from coming out of Part. That's not the problem - my shifter moves freely, it just isn't connected to anything any more.
The little pink part seems to be fine, and the rod (that disappears into the front of the console) moves back and forth just fine.
Any suggestions?
BrianGWilliams,

I'm sorry to hear about your shifting issue. Had you been experiencing any abnormalities when shifting previously?

Have you had an opportunity to speak with your servicing dealer?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:57 PM
BrianGWilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My shifter

HI DodgeCACares,

I did not experience any abnormalities when shifting previously. The movement from P through to D has always been smooth with no friction or hangups. I have not yet spoken to my local Dodge dealer, as I am on a limited budget and I am trying to diagnose as much as I can, before I take it in for the repair (I do not intend to do any repair myself).

Old 11-25-2014, 08:43 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGWilliams
HI DodgeCACares,

I did not experience any abnormalities when shifting previously. The movement from P through to D has always been smooth with no friction or hangups. I have not yet spoken to my local Dodge dealer, as I am on a limited budget and I am trying to diagnose as much as I can, before I take it in for the repair (I do not intend to do any repair myself).
BrianGWilliams,

In some cases, what you've described can be associated with the gearshift cable. A formal diagnosis would be beneficial to efficiently determine the root cause. Your ability to demonstrate the issue will certainly help the process.

Quick Reply: 2008 Magnum - shifter moves back and forth