Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

3.5L SXT with P0016 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Thehilds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5L SXT with P0016 Code

I was returning home today and made the normal right hand turn into the neighborhood when the car just died. When I pulled over and put it in park to start again the car did something strange, it cranked but continued to do so for about 15 seconds without starting.

When I got home I rented a ODBII reader and code P0016 came up. I have since replaced the Cam Shaft Position sensor and the Crank Position sensor with no resolve. I am not getting the code any longer but the car still won't turn over.

Anyone have an idea? Could it be the fuel pump or relay?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thehilds
I was returning home today and made the normal right hand turn into the neighborhood when the car just died. When I pulled over and put it in park to start again the car did something strange, it cranked but continued to do so for about 15 seconds without starting.

When I got home I rented a ODBII reader and code P0016 came up. I have since replaced the Cam Shaft Position sensor and the Crank Position sensor with no resolve. I am not getting the code any longer but the car still won't turn over.

Anyone have an idea? Could it be the fuel pump or relay?
Per Service Manual, it states to check for any chafed, pierced, punched or partially broken wires for the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor. Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Other possible causes for the P0016 are:
Crankshaft, tone wheel or flex plate
Crankshaft, tone wheel or pulse ring
Timing gear alignment

Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Timing belt broke probably.

Quick Reply: 3.5L SXT with P0016 Code