Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Stock Magnum rear coil springs: air bag compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 AM
DafTekno
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Magnum rear coil springs: air bag compatibility?

Dear All,

I have a 2005 Magnum R/T and want to fit rear air bags to prevent the back from sagging during towing.

I read on one of these forums that Air Lift 1000 kits 60723 or 60724 will fit.
(However, for the life of me, I can't find this thread again!)

Apparently, Air Lift themselves don't think so:
"...I don't know if the guys on those forums have bigger diameter coil springs or what but both of those kits are going to be 3" in diameter so if you have 2 3/4" diameter those are both going to be too big and we're not going to have anything that will fit it...".

I thought that such kits were meant to stiffen the springs, not by pressing top to bottom, but by squeezing in between the coils sideways.

So, surely it is required for the bags to be slightly larger in diameter compared to my coil springs, yes..?

Is this 1/4" (1/8" either side) an excessive amount to have squeezing through..?

If slightly larger bags are the whole point, and 1/4" is totally acceptable for this purpose, why are Air Lift saying it won't work?

If not, maybe there's a larger diameter / stiffer 'towing-specific' replacement coil spring I could use, and thus gain Air Lift kit compatibility..?

I hope someone can help me with this, as my headlights blind oncoming drivers with even a small empty trailer!

Thank you.
Regards - D

Quick Reply: Stock Magnum rear coil springs: air bag compatibility?