Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2008 Dodge Magnum 2.7 No Crank/No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 PM
gospodinlenin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Magnum 2.7 No Crank/No Start

Hello!

Just recently I purchased a 2008 Dodge Magnum 2.7L V6 (130,000 miles) with a ticking engine, speculating that it’s just the spark plugs or the coils. At the time of sale the engine had a p304 and p306 misfire codes. Thinking that the 4 other cylinders should be enough to get me back home, I drove off the lot and went on the highway. As I drove the car over the next couple miles, the car seemed to need more and more rpm’s in order to stay at the same speed. About 5 minutes into the drive (55mph) the vehicle stopped responding to the gas pedal and shutdown chugging (while the gas pedal was depressed), during that time I noticed the flashing check engine and a flashing oil light on the dash (yes there is oil in the engine). After pulling over I was not able to restart the car; no crank/no start. As you turn the key to the “ON” position all the gauges light up in addition to the headlights, interior lights, and the radio. But as you turn the key to start the vehicle you hear a click in the rear fuse box as well as a click from the engine, then all the interior/exterior lights flash once and were back to the regular “ON” mode. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for a day to no avail, as well as getting a new battery. Just based on that I can rule out the alternator and the battery. Also the fuel pump is not at fault because I can hear it when the key is in “ON” position (also there is quarter tank of gas if that’s relevant).

What I think the problem could be:
-Starter: But why would it go bad in the first 5 miles of driving it? Started just fine at the pickup location.
-Crankshaft/Cam sensors: Again what are the chances that they will go bad after 5 miles of driving it?
-Fuses?
-Ignition Actuator pin? Seems like a common problem between chargers but my magnum has a key fob instead of a key, so most likely not relevant.
-Some type of car security limp mode that prevents it from starting?
-Faulty key fob? Relating to starter and the sensors, probably wouldn’t go bad after 5 miles of driving. Also if the WCM did lock up it would temporarily reset after disconnecting the battery for a little bit.

Bottom line is the vehicle shutdown while in motion and won’t crank/start. If anyone has any ideas in regards to this matter, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Magnum 2.7 No Crank/No Start