Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Magnum R/T Shakes at 45mph when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 PM
CodyRachal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Magnum R/T Shakes at 45mph when Braking

I've read about 1,000,000,000 posts about this and cannot find anything different...

My car steering wheel shakes when I brake at 45-50mph.

I have replaced:
Rotors
Pads
Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Rack and Pinion

With the car jacked up I shook the wheels and I have no excess movement. None of the suspension components look worn. I had the tires balanced and alignment done but nothing helps.

Any other options of what it could be????

Next I'm going to replace the struts just in case.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Possible to have gotten rotors that weren't flat. Meaning you have a warped rotor.

Could have a tire that is slightly out of balance, only causing issue when extra load is applied through braking.

Wheel bearing could also cause this when the added load of braking is applied.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:41 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your tires I had the same problem when I did my front brakes. Bought new tires and the issue disappeared.

Soar dude

Originally Posted by CodyRachal
I've read about 1,000,000,000 posts about this and cannot find anything different...

My car steering wheel shakes when I brake at 45-50mph.

I have replaced:
Rotors
Pads
Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Rack and Pinion

With the car jacked up I shook the wheels and I have no excess movement. None of the suspension components look worn. I had the tires balanced and alignment done but nothing helps.

Any other options of what it could be????

Next I'm going to replace the struts just in case.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Check the tire balance

Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 AM
schenk2826

I kept having this same issue. I would change out pads/rotors and in a couple of months I would get this shaking when slowing down. Had the front end gone through, all tight, tires balanced and alignment.

Changed pads/rotors, it went away. Then it would come back. Change pads/rotors, goes away. I have the pricey lifetime warranty rotors/pads, so now it just costs me the inconvenience of having to change them out once a year.

I have come to the conclusion the front end braking/suspension system in the magnums is craptastic. Really like the car except the front end suspension. Seemed front end problems plagued (and still do, lucky us) the magnums and early chargers. The rotors look like they belong on a truck and maybe the suspension is just not designed well or heavy enough for as heavy a car as the magnum is, not sure. But, I do know the front end is annoying on them. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:12 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Next time you do brakes try some of these http://www.cquence.net/dodge-magnum-...FQMaaQod0icPfg

My 06 Stratus had the same issue for about 1yr, every 3 months I was replacing rotors. I changed out to drilled/slotted rotors, never had another problem for the next 5yrs of ownership.
Replacement rotors are junk, regardless of price, regardless of manufacturer.

Quick Reply: 2005 Magnum R/T Shakes at 45mph when Braking