Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Burning Rubber Smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 PM
jc70nova
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Rubber Smell

Hey guys need some help with my Magnum 06 2.7 110,522 miles......

Over the pass 6 mths I have noticed a burning rubber smell. Took the car to the tire place and took the guy for a test drive and he agreed it was a rubber smell. It would only happen if I were to get up on it, not flooring it but if I were to pass someone and the car jumps to about 4700-5000 rpms then back down to normal. He said he did not see any signs of wear to the tire but it could be starting out. He said he would not do it but if I were to shave down the bolt to my upper ball joint should fix it. So I did this and nope same thing, then I saw someone say a loose drive belt would cause it. I changed that same thing.

Now I'm at a dead end. Oh yes this is the funny thing you can only smell it inside the car, at times it smells like something is truly on fire and pull over jump out to see the flames and nothing. No smell under the hood no smell from any of the tires or tire wells no smoke NOTHING. But stick your head in the car and wow smells like someone just did a burnout. I also turned the air on to see if it would get worse no smell from the heat or a/c...

So can someone please HELP.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 PM
David Schoen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jc70nova
Hey guys need some help with my Magnum 06 2.7 110,522 miles......

Over the pass 6 mths I have noticed a burning rubber smell. Took the car to the tire place and took the guy for a test drive and he agreed it was a rubber smell. It would only happen if I were to get up on it, not flooring it but if I were to pass someone and the car jumps to about 4700-5000 rpms then back down to normal. He said he did not see any signs of wear to the tire but it could be starting out. He said he would not do it but if I were to shave down the bolt to my upper ball joint should fix it. So I did this and nope same thing, then I saw someone say a loose drive belt would cause it. I changed that same thing.

Now I'm at a dead end. Oh yes this is the funny thing you can only smell it inside the car, at times it smells like something is truly on fire and pull over jump out to see the flames and nothing. No smell under the hood no smell from any of the tires or tire wells no smoke NOTHING. But stick your head in the car and wow smells like someone just did a burnout. I also turned the air on to see if it would get worse no smell from the heat or a/c...

So can someone please HELP.
Please tell me you got some help on this. I have been going through the same thing with my 06 magnum 3.5L. Super annoying.

Quick Reply: Burning Rubber Smell