Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2.7 stalling at idle, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 PM
BrianGWilliams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 stalling at idle, no codes

I have a 2008 Magnum SE 2.7 that has been a constant source of frustration - the weak front end, leaking rear end, noisy HVAC and more. Now the 2.7 surges on cold start up, from 1000rpm to 2000rpm and back, quickly, for a minute or so. This has been happening for a couple months but I could overlook it. Well, not any longer. Now when the idle drops from 2000rpm or so, the engine stalls. Thank goodness this is only in the driveway in park. It will start again and may or may not stall again. Upon driving off, the engine hesitates slightly. When warm, the performance is fine (though the 2.7 is sloooooow in a 4000lb car) but when warm at idle the damn engine shakes. I am not getting any codes, even after the key dance or using a code reader. Engine is not using any oil. Air filter is clean. Currently have 150,000kms (95,000 miles), replaced the plugs at 145,000kms.
Help?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:36 PM
BrianGWilliams

235 views and not a single person has a suggestion to help me solve the problem?

Old 11-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Mary Ortega
Default 06 Magnum stalling at warm idle

Hi did you figure out what what was wrong with the car? I just purchased an 06 magnum with 2.7 engine and the car will run fine then at a red light or stop and car is at warm the engine will start to shake and loose power. The car will remain on but I can step/floor the accelerator and car will not go. I will have to put the car in park and turn off and on again and issue will be gone. I just recently took the car to the dealer and had the throttle body cleaned and recalibrated and had a tune up. I keep seeing soo many posts but have not seen one post that actually followed through and stated how they fixed the problem. I also don’t have any codes on the dash...

Originally Posted by BrianGWilliams
I have a 2008 Magnum SE 2.7 that has been a constant source of frustration - the weak front end, leaking rear end, noisy HVAC and more. Now the 2.7 surges on cold start up, from 1000rpm to 2000rpm and back, quickly, for a minute or so. This has been happening for a couple months but I could overlook it. Well, not any longer. Now when the idle drops from 2000rpm or so, the engine stalls. Thank goodness this is only in the driveway in park. It will start again and may or may not stall again. Upon driving off, the engine hesitates slightly. When warm, the performance is fine (though the 2.7 is sloooooow in a 4000lb car) but when warm at idle the damn engine shakes. I am not getting any codes, even after the key dance or using a code reader. Engine is not using any oil. Air filter is clean. Currently have 150,000kms (95,000 miles), replaced the plugs at 145,000kms.
Help?

Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM
BrianGWilliams

Actually, I got so frustrated with the car that I sold it. I just could no longer afford to keep throwing parts and labour at it. I sold it to a mechanic who looked at the car as a challenge. Sorry I could not help you, I wish I could say my ownership of a Magnum had a happy ending but it did not. It was a piece of **** car with lackluster engineering.

Quick Reply: 2.7 stalling at idle, no codes