Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

How can I test the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
DavidFowler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I test the fuel pump?

My Daughters 2005 Magnum just decided not to start one morning. It had be running fine. Starter turns the motor over fine, but it never fires. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, verified fuse 29 is good, pulled and reseated fuse 14, all to no avail. I "think" I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on... but my hearing is not as good as it used to be. Is there an easy way to verify the pump is working? Is there anything else I should be checking before calling a tow truck to take it to the dealer? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

You can check the fuel pressure at the fuel rails with a tester to see if it's getting pressure. Can rent them from auto parts stores.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
DavidFowler

Thanks! I will try that. Is the location to attach the pressure gauge fairly obvious?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What engine?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
DavidFowler

2.7L v6. Going to pick up a pressure gauge from AutoZone tonight... not sure if I want it to be the fuel pump or not!! I don't like the thought of the other reasons for not starting!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm too old school, but I follow the KISS rule. Fuel, Spark and Air. For fuel, you can disconnect the fuel hose at the rail, put the end in a container, briefly turn the IGN on (NOT Crank so the plugs aren't firing), and if you get fuel, pump is good. Pull a spark plug with plug wire attached, ground it to the block, turn the engine over to see if you have spark. For an engine that doesn't start at all, that'll point you down the right path...Fuel or Spark. Assuming you aren't in a vacuum and have some air

Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM
DavidFowler

I guess I'm really old school, and don't like all these danged computers! Thanks to robertmee and jkeaton for the help and suggestions... I'll be back tomorrow with the results! :-)

Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DavidFowler
I guess I'm really old school, and don't like all these danged computers! Thanks to robertmee and jkeaton for the help and suggestions... I'll be back tomorrow with the results! :-)
Agreed....I'm doing a engine swap, and ripped out the computer. Funny, 'cause my day job is working with them

Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 AM
DavidFowler

That's funny Robert... I spend all day working with computers too! In fact, I must spend too much time hearing fans hum in the data center as that is the only explanation I can come up with for "thinking" I heard the fuel pump! Got the pressure gauge from Autozone, but could never find a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to attach it. Did the next best thing, pulled the fuel line at the tank and hit the key to the on position for a second or two... and nada. I have a pump on order and expect that to fix it. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DavidFowler
That's funny Robert... I spend all day working with computers too! In fact, I must spend too much time hearing fans hum in the data center as that is the only explanation I can come up with for "thinking" I heard the fuel pump! Got the pressure gauge from Autozone, but could never find a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to attach it. Did the next best thing, pulled the fuel line at the tank and hit the key to the on position for a second or two... and nada. I have a pump on order and expect that to fix it. Thanks again for everyone's help!
Glad you're on your way....Just because of your post, I bench hooked up my fuel pump today to a 12v supply (tank currently dropped due to engine swap) just to hear it hum. It had been sitting for 5 years in a field.

Quick Reply: How can I test the fuel pump?