Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Disconnected battery

Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
kornholio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnected battery

Has anybody disconnected their battery? The owners manual says if you do you'll have to have the MDS reset by the dealer. I disconnected mine but I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage on the freeway or in response to throttle. I called one dealer who said it would be $50.00, another didn't know what the hell I was talking about but said "If that's what it said in the manual I guess so and would be $87.00". Anybody have any exprience with this? I can't believe everytime you disconnect the battery you have to take it to the dealer!

Old 01-07-2006, 05:10 PM
hyperbolic
Default RE: Disconnected battery

As far as I know there are only two things you need to do after disconnecting the battery. Reset the steering wheel sensor; start the car and turn the steering wheel all the way left and right. Run the drivers window all the way down and up to reset the automatic run down. I've disconnected mine and didn't even lose the radio presets. What page is the instruction to take it to the dealer?

Old 01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
kornholio

Page 220 in the 2006 manual. It's also in the index.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:58 PM
hyperbolic

Sorry, I've got an 05 and disconnecting the battery isn't mentioned in the manual. Hard to just ignore what's in the manual but if you don't have any issues and the dealer can't give you an adequate explanation for why a service visit is required I wouldn't do it. Any recalibration of engine or car controls will occur during operation. I read three forums regularly and have never seen a problem that needed a dealer visit to correct after a battery disconnect. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 PM
kornholio

Thanks

Old 01-07-2006, 06:03 PM
kornholio

Look under MDS or multiple displacement system in the index. Is that listed in the 05 manual?

Old 01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
hyperbolic

Not one mention of MDS in my manual. I have read a procedure on the forums to reset the MDS system, as I recall it involved driving up to a certain speed and crusing there for some time and then stopping and restarting the car. It was dismissed in the thread as unneccessary and I would agree. The computer is adaptive and would adjust to set any paramaters neccessay for proper operation over time. It's not like the computer will lose it's program because the battery was disconnected. Just keep driving, any problems like poor fuel mileage should become apparent shortly and you can take it in with a specific complaint. I think the lack of specific knowledge for this from the dealer points to how little importance it really is. Call a few more dealers and see if any have a real knowledge of why a service visit is neccessay, may set your mind at ease.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 PM
65standard
All Star

i have disconnected my battery a few times on my '06 magnum. i had to reset the auto up/down windows, radio, esp, but never anything with the MDS. it still works just fine with no reset. i can hear it turn on and off as it should.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:18 PM
kornholio

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 AM
kornholio

Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disconnected battery