Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

ESP/BAS Light on dash! Please Help!!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CTRice
I will probably live with the ESP/BAS light on for a while until our furum gets to the bottom of this fiasco.
unfortunately, There is no bottom to this problem. That light is like a Check Engine Light, it will light up for literally anything wrong with traction control system.
If you open a question that saids "My Check Engine Light is ON", everyone will ask you "what is the code?"
This is the same scenario, you Have to get the car Scanned for the exact Code before anyone can help you.
Most reputable shops will have the equipment to scan ABS system, Other wise, Dealership is your other option.
These equipment cost at least $500 if you want to get your own.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
gravy58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp/bas

I think the whole light problem is in the alinement and or any connection to their sensors. As far as the antenna, I found on my 05 Mag that when the windshield heats up in the summer we lose both am and fm. when the temp of the car cools down the stations come back. I was told that the connection from the windshield antenna to the antenna cable of the radio heats up it kind of liquidfies, when it cools down it solidifies. I love my Maggie, but lets face it, they were built cheap.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
cpmgrp
Default Magnum: ESP/BAS lights; FM Radio; Antenna; Shifter lock

I agree on the ESP/BAS. New tires, an alignment and a couple of other things (brake adjustment?) in combo or one of the above cured the problem. Funny, those lights are there for a reason. The hang-up was getting the car out of the stall. The shifter locked up and would not come out of park. We finally had to have the car (literally) towed across the street to the dealer. There they immediately diagnosed the problem as a broken safety lock in the shifter. $650+. The reason they knew is because another car (mine's an '05, the other an '07) was in for the same problem. Svc Mgr and other customer advised I call Chrysler even though it was out of warranty. Sure enough, Chrysler agreed to pay for all except a $150 "co-pay." When I looked at the old part - it was totally made of plastic. A shifter, something used several times a day and all plastic. My understanding is the models sold to PDs and other emergency vehicles had already been recalled, but not the strictly passenger cars.

On the FM Radio. I get AM just fine (and I live in S. FL where it gets pretty hot). My FM is covered in static - though you can hear the stations very faintly in the background. To me this sounds like an antenna problem as FM is much more dependent on the antenna than AM. However just the trouble-shooting would be big bux in labor, then (if they could find the problem) add that too. I opted just to use my XM and listen to any games they don't carry on local AM.

Judging by the number of responses to this and similar posts, these are some big problems Chrysler is going to have to face if they continue to use crappy parts. I, too, love my Maggie. Approaching 7 years old with only 83k miles and paid for; I'm hoping to keep it 'til it's a classic. It's an R/T with everything but Nav and if I have to spend a few hundred a year on repairs, I'll keep it - it's still cheaper than payments on a $35,000 car (which it was). Especially since they don't make them anymore and mine is the first year of production, I figure it may appreciate over the years; or fall apart completely ;<)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
jackhammer

My light comes on when I turn left and use the turn signal. Then when I fully turn to the right it goes off. If I don't use the turn signal it does not come on. So...I don't use my left turn signal.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Left Brain
Default BAS light

I too have a 2005 Dodge Magnum, V6 with 103,000 miles with an intemittent BAS light. I just tried the lock to lock steering wheel exercise and, behold, the light indeed went off. Hopefully I don't get it again.

PS - I also checked the fluid level and it was okay.

Left Brain - Tampa

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Suprtek

Thanks for this thread! After reading all the possible causes for this light going on and off, it looks like I need an alignment. I noticed it was pulling slightly to the right and the steering wheel has to be slightly turned to the left to go straight. However, I would have never connected the alignment with that light without this thread. I love the internet!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Stevoamilli

Originally Posted by jcs11236
hey guys.. I need all your help.. I have a 2005 dodge magnum se which i love.. The only problem is the my esp/bas light keeps coming on in my dash.it comes on and goes if i were to restart the car.. Lately it has been constantly on all the time.. I took it to the dealer and they are telling me that it has to do with my 20 inch rims on my magnum.. Is this possible?? Does anyone elses esp/bas light come on because of there rims? I am a lil worried because im not sure what exactly this esp/bas light means? Is it that might brakes might fail or something?? I need help.. What do you guys suggest i do?? Please someone help me!! I tried what the manual says- turning the wheel left and right but that didnt help..
it's the alignment on your vehicle. I recently ran into a huge put hole completely ruining my wheel and tire which screwed my alignment up big time so basically it's letting you know your alignment is off

Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Diabolo038

I'm having the same problem ESP BAS ABS and I was looking here for some answers if somebody knows anything else besides what we see on this forum please let me know appreciate thx

Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Diabolo038

Dodge charger Road and Track 09 original wheels everything

Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
trainman1972
Default angle sensor column adjust

Finally got the BAS&trac lights off on my 2007 chargerRT, while still on extended warranty (thank goodness). It kept coding as steering angle or steering speed sensors. After reading other posts on other forums, I took car back to dealership and asked them to check about the sensor on the column it self. After a call to Chrysler the dealership learned there is an adjustment that needed checked. After bringing it back to spec the system is back to normal. Don't ask me how it gets out of whack but it was a quick fix once they knew where to look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP/BAS Light on dash! Please Help!!!!