Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

drop in a hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
muggsyboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop in a hemi?

Newbie here with a question regading dropping in one of the Mopar crate hemis... If you take an original 66 or 67 Coronet 8 cyl car and want to drop in one of the crate 426 hemis, is there a good website or link I could go to that would describe some of the things that must be done ie: suspensionn, frame supporting, transmission min requirements, rear end minimum requirements, which cars it would or wouldn't drop into? I'm thinking of a 66 or 67 Coronet, Satellite, Belvedere bodys....

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: drop in a hemi?

That's a big question and it really depends on what you have to start out with and which crate Hemi your getting as there area few differentversions (from the stock style 465hp 426 Hemi to the 900+hp 540 Hemi that's all aluminium and blown). If you get any of the cars you mentioned and they have or did have a big block in them then your already half way done. If not then your gonna need alot more, as in every part you've inquired about and more. Getting a car that's already a big block car saves you alot, you don't need much more than different motormounts.

Here a few items you should look for in a potential car or parts in general:
8 3/4 or Dana 60 rear end, preferably with Sure Grip
A727B automatic transmission or A833 manual transmission
Hemi K-member or at least a V8 K-member
Hemi/BB torsion bars

A Hemi will fit in any car with a cutting torch and a welder. The Hemi's will fit in any B-body andE-body as they came in them from the factory, but they will also drop easily in the larger C-body cars. They can fit the A-body cars with lots of work.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
muggsyboy

thank you for the reply, very helpful. I'm generally a "keep it original" guy, so Ihate to rip out any good 383 or 440. I don't think I could bring myself to do it unless it was in bad mechanical shape....I'd pull a 318 or maybe a 360 with less guilt, but seems like there would be a ton of hidden cost. I have a Mustang now and I know that people that do I6 to V8 conversions say its a PIA. and that's a tiny little 289!!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopars have 3 different K members, Slant 6, V8 and Hemi and there are motor mount adapter kits to put any motor in any K member, but it's best to have the right K member to start off with. Going from a 6 to an 8 is usually the hardest with any car.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 AM
unclemike
Veteran

Check with Schumaker Creative Services at www.engine-swaps.com they have a complete listing of Mopar engine swap parts. I know that the catalouge has a section in the back on parts needed for different swaps. A look though Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle will turn up companies that will fix you up with suspension parts up to handling a Hemi. A disk brake conversion kit would be worthwhile too.

Quick Reply: drop in a hemi?