Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

mopar points to electronic conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Jeffmarble
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mopar points to electronic conversion

i recently bought the wiring conversion to run any electronic distributor on my 360 its a 74 which for some reason was converted to points i got the new distributor and ignition module from the parts store to save money verus buying mopars the wiring is mopars but in the instructions it shows a 2 point ballast resistor i still have on my truck a 4 point also when looking online i noticed when it comes to 2 point resistors theres differant ohm types for after market coils but doesnt state when i should convert to a lower resistance right now its a accel super stock coil so i dont know if it would require a lower resistance ballast resistor. anyone got ideas[/align]

Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mopar points to electronic conversion

I don't have clue on that one, I did the mopar conversion on mine, maybe call the manufacturer and see if they can help.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Jeffmarble
Rookie

did urs come with a 2 pin ballast resistor where u had to splice 2 wires in on each side? or did u use a 4 pin a wire for each pin

Old 03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the 2 pin ballast resistor that was already in the car. I did end up replacing the alternator because it kept heating up the control box(orange).

Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM
unclemike
Veteran

Depending on the year control box it had an internal resistor or not. With the internal resistor you use the two prong ballast resistor. The four prong set up is for the early control box. Also the early box should have 5 pins on the connector the late box only has four pins. I think all the wireing kits have the five wire connector and you just leave the one unconnected. This should be spelled out in the instructions. The proper Accel coil has an M after the number to indicate it's for a mopar, look on their web site they should have a pdf file with instructions. Or you could always buy a stock replacement coil for cheap.

Quick Reply: mopar points to electronic conversion