Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

problems starting my 2001 neon

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Malcolmw27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems starting my 2001 neon

Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and think it is great. I have a problem with my 2001 neon starting. It will start fine sometimes and others it will not turn over but if you turn the key back and try to start it again it will start. It will also idle very roughly at a stop, but runs very well otherwise. I have a check engine light on. Code #456 small evaperation leak. would this have anything to do with it and if so, how can I fix it? Could it mean that I need to change plugs and wires? I do need to change them anyhow, but thought I would ask first if this may be part of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Malcolmw27
Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and think it is great. I have a problem with my 2001 neon starting. It will start fine sometimes and others it will not turn over but if you turn the key back and try to start it again it will start. It will also idle very roughly at a stop, but runs very well otherwise. I have a check engine light on. Code #456 small evaperation leak. would this have anything to do with it and if so, how can I fix it? Could it mean that I need to change plugs and wires? I do need to change them anyhow, but thought I would ask first if this may be part of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help
1) Not turning over when you try to crank the car is usually one of two things - your battery is going bad, or your starter is going bad. It is very easy to test the battery, just go to any car parts place and they will do it for nothing. The starter is harder to check because you have to remove it to check it. They will also check the starter for nothing, but again, you have to remove it to check it. Usually the bendix on the starter starts to lock up and not turn over, but more likely is your battery having one or more dead cells and not having enough juice to fire it up.

2) The rough idle can be damn near anything - old/bad wires, coil going bad, cam, crank, or temp sensor starting to go bad, EGR issues, needs new plugs, even the small evap leak may be causing it. How many miles on the car and when was it last serviced? Start by doing the basic maintenance and go from there. It can also be a result of a bad fuel pump starving the car at idle, or a clogged fuel filter (both are combined in 2nd gen cars inside the tank).

3) As for the small evap leak, there is a charcoal canister in the front right fender well (passenger side) in front of the plastic fender well guard. Usually one or more of the hoses going in or coming out may have either come loose or have a small hole in it. Simple to fix and cheap. Just trace the hoses and if you find a hole, get some hose at any parts store and replace it. Especially check the one that goes around the passenger side fender well as mine had a rub mark hole exactly in the middle where the clip holds it in place. Cost $1.50 to replace the hose.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 05-04-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: problems starting my 2001 neon