Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

no start situation 97 neon

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Big Lars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start situation 97 neon

i've been reading alot of good advice on this site. here is my problem. daughter was driving in the snow and called saying the car stalled. i went to get her and no spark was found. towed car home and ran a test light to the coil pack. it lights up for 2 seconds when the key gets turned on then the light goes out. it comes back on while cranking but still no spark to plugs. test light is on at the injectors but not at the crank sensor. get code 43-multiple/single cylinder misfire and code 54-no cam signal at pcm. not sure what part to replace first. suggestions would be great

Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly don't have a good answer for you but my sister used to have a neon and that thing was nothing but a headache, the engine almost blew up and the transmission went out. I would just get a new used car.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Big Lars

well it was grandma's car and only has 50K on it so i would like to get it back up and running. think i will replace crank sensor, then cam sensor, then coil pack; in that order. does that sound reasonable?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by Big Lars
well it was grandma's car and only has 50K on it so i would like to get it back up and running. think i will replace crank sensor, then cam sensor, then coil pack; in that order. does that sound reasonable?
Actually no. Your coil will stop firing if it does not get a reliable signal from the cam sensor (or crank sensor) to indicate WHEN it should fire SO.......

Replace the cam sensor first., clear the error codes and then see if you still have any issues. If you do, it should show up in the error codes. My bet is that you replace that sensor, the rest of your problems go away.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Big Lars

thanks, i'm going for the crank first since 'dude' at work said so and i bought it on the way home before checking this forum. i'll let you know

Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Big Lars

anyone know if this is an interference or non-interference engine? Apparantly non-interference means that you can't damage the valves by turning the crank with the timing belt off. is this true?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM
blacksunshine05
Professional

Originally Posted by Big Lars
anyone know if this is an interference or non-interference engine? Apparantly non-interference means that you can't damage the valves by turning the crank with the timing belt off. is this true?
1995-1999 Neon 2.0 liter SOHC 4 cyl engines are Interference engines. I think only the 2.4 liters are Non-Interference. The cam and crank position sensors sometimes are flipped. You will get the code on the dash for the cam sensor when it is really the crank sensor. It seems odd that you are also getting a misfire code which makes me wonder if it is not the crank sensor going out. The crank sensor helps control the ignition firing order. It tells the ECU in what position the crank is in so it knows the order in which to fire. The car will die while driving if it is going out. Then you will have to let the car sit till the sensor can cool down then the car will restart. Eventually though it will go out all together.

Last edited by blacksunshine05; 02-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM
blacksunshine05
Professional

If you figure it out let us know. Just in case someone else has the same problem down the road.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Peanut5914

I Have a 97 neon same thing going on with my car will not fire no spark at plugs checking cam and crank sensors

Quick Reply: no start situation 97 neon