Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

How many miles can you get out of a 2000 dodge neon...

Old 07-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Etanimulc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles can you get out of a 2000 dodge neon...

How many miles do most people get out of a 2000 dodge neon, before they have engine and transmission problems. I'm a spirited driver who pushes my car more than half of the time; not full throttle ever time.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Default RE: How many miles can you get out of a 2000 dodge neon...

Personally, i think thats like trying to ask how much horsepower does a 400 C.C. engine make. Its not a question u can answer really. Different mods here and there change that.

How the car was broken in, how its been maintained, run at high rpms for extended periods of time will wear it down quick quick. Pretty much depends how you drive and maintain it.

jus my 2c

Old 07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie

What is considered high rpm? Usually 4,000 rpm is when most cars are making good power.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Peak power in the stock SOHC is closer to 5600 rpm. Even with the Mopar PCM, my car doesn't even start making decent power until 4000 rpm.

But driving at those rpms on the street is ridiculous. I keep mine in the 2k-3k range, unless I need to pass in a hurry or I'm getting on the freeway and want to get up to speed in a hurry.

With good maintenance, you should have no problems turning 250k miles. If I kept this engine, I'm sure it would hit 500k (236k now), but I plan on building one here soon to swap in...

Best of luck!

Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Etanimulc
Rookie

Is there anything else that I should really focus on, as far as maintenance besides the engine and the transmission?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Keep up with or ahead of the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual/FSM. Timing belt, water pump, and tensioner parts should be done before you get to the recommended 105k miles.

When you get a CEL, find out what it is and fix it.

You can't change the oil too often. A good synthetic goes a long ways, so does a quality filter.

Check your spark plugs every oil change and replace (as a group) as necessary. I normally do mine every other oil change, but that's probably overkill even at $1.00 per plug (Bosch coppers). Copper plugs are fine.

Replace the cooling system twice a year. Spend the extra on the premixed coolant. Don't ever put tap water (mineral deposits) or DI water (corrosion) in your car. Demineralized is fine, but I stick with the premix.

Avoid additives. Avoid gimmicks.

When the suspension goes, it's typically cheaper to upgrade than to replace with stock parts. Same goes for virtually every component on the car.

Spend the money on a lifetime alignment from Firestone ($160 or so). Use it a few times and it pays for itself. I've used it 9 times in less than 2 years. My 160 treadwear summer tires have lasted almost 37,000 miles now with 80% tread remaining because of proper alignment and frequent rotation/balancing (also lifetime - mounted at Wal-Mart for $40).

All-seasons are not. When you can afford it, get quality summer tires and quality snow tires on seperate (i.e. steelie) rims. I live in Albuqerque and still use snow tires every now and then.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:41 PM
lblackneon
Champion

The most power comes around 4500 rpm.

Since we're talking about maintanance, when do u have to replace your power steering pump?

Old 07-21-2005, 03:50 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: lblackneon

Since we're talking about maintanance, when do u have to replace your power steering pump?
When it breaks is the best time, other than that I would leave it alone.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 AM
y2neones
Veteran

what about fuel filter.... ever 30k?

Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 AM
jimmasterK
Veteran

Keeping your car well maintained will get the most mileage out of it. I don't know how well these guys have kept their neons maintained, but I've heard of a couple that have broke 250K miles, and even one that has broken 500K on the original engine. It can be done, just don't drive like an ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles can you get out of a 2000 dodge neon...