Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

05 Neon SXT leaking coolant from evaporator drain hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM
NicoleK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 Neon SXT leaking coolant from evaporator drain hose

I am new to this site, as a registered user anyway, anytime I have had any problems with my car I always find the answer here so I figured I would sign up :-) On my way to work this morning I smelled antifreeze while I had my heat on, The heat worked fine, nothing unusual. On my way home I smelled it even more but I didn't have heat or ac on. Then I got home, there wasn't any antifreeze anywhere. Turned the key over so I could put my car in neutral to coast to a flat spot in the driveway ( car wasn't fully started), turned it off, looked down and I saw antifreeze running underneath my car?? It is coming from my evaporator drain hose but NO other signs of my heater core going out?? Could it be my heater core? I can't find anything on here giving me any info about it???

Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM
NicoleK

Also could I drive it without the heat or ac on since it isn't over heating or anything until i can get it to a shop or get it fixed??

Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the carpet wet underneath, inside of the cab? Usually a bad heater core will leak into the cabin, as that's where it is located.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM
bfinkle
Default neon coolant leak

the referred car above is my wife's car. There is no leakage whatsoever in the floorboard, driver or passenger. the only indication of coolant loss is coolant coming out of the evap. drain hose. Yes this IS coolant and NOT water which has condensed in the area, as it is clearly green and has the sweet coolant smell.
I just recently changed the radiator and tranny filter due to the tranny fluid line bursting inside of the radiator. This happened less than a mile from my home so i was lucky and didn't cause any noticeable damage to the transmission. I'm not sure if the deposits of transmission fluid that didn't get removed during flush out would effect the heater core.
anyway, the drain hose will leak usually when the car gets turned off. and it is a very small, but steady, stream that usually lasts about 4 to 5 min and will leak about 20 oz or so of coolant.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
bfinkle
Default neon coolant leak

I just bypassed the heater core for the mean time, until we get the parts and courage built up to tackle putting in a new heater core. Does anyone know if there is some king of gasket, seal, o-ring, ect. that could possibly be causing the coolant leak out the evap drain hose? I am just reluctant to accept that I have to change the heater core and am wishing it might just be something small, as I'm sure many do it yourselfers have wished before.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no gaskets or seals, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will find the core is so slightly corroded that it has a pinhole leak.

cores arent all that expensive just a pain in the butt to change out.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
lilang697

I have a 2004 dodge neon sxt I have no heat or air. I have air coming out of the vents but winter time its not even warm summer its not cool. I have replaced the thermostat several times. I have had it flushed. I had the head gaskets and head changed over a year ago cause it was over heating. But something in the dash had made a popping noise not sure if that had anything to do with it or not

Old 10-17-2014, 04:36 PM
SMG420

Originally Posted by lilang697
I have a 2004 dodge neon sxt I have no heat or air. I have air coming out of the vents but winter time its not even warm summer its not cool. I have replaced the thermostat several times. I have had it flushed. I had the head gaskets and head changed over a year ago cause it was over heating. But something in the dash had made a popping noise not sure if that had anything to do with it or not

sounds like your heater core is your floor wet can u smell something funny do u have no coolint if u have these problem it is the heater core and it is under your dash inside your car cabin its like 5 hours of work to have it done and it a pain in the butt good luck

Quick Reply: 05 Neon SXT leaking coolant from evaporator drain hose