Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM
swede_x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops, missed quotes and can't delete this post...

Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 PM
swede_x

Originally Posted by MexicanFightingBeagle
I have searched and found nothing like this, so I would welcome suggestions. My 2002 Neon A/C works great for about an hour, then the airflow slows to a trickle. There might have been a hint of an electrical smell when this happened. If I switch to vent for a couple of minutes, the flow usually comes back for another 30 minutes or so. I have replaced the blower motor and the resistor pack. Ideas?
Have you considered that the coils may be icing up? It's more likely in a high humidity area than not.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
MexicanFightingBeagle

I took it in a couple of years back and they tweaked the freon level, but problem persisted. I will take it in next week and we can try that. Thx.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
MexicanFightingBeagle

Yes, I have shuddered at the thought of coils icing up. I had a home A/C do that once, and had to use the hair dryer to de-ice them. I figure if the car is doing that, I am looking at $1000 to replace the coils. My only hope was that it seemed unlikely that just a minute or two of vent would clear the ice. Also, the system gets nice and cold until it stops blowing), and I haven't had to add freon in years. Would an ice-up be possible without a leak? And if so, what can be done about it? Thx.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 AM
swede_x

Yes, I have shuddered at the thought of coils icing up. I had a home A/C do that once, and had to use the hair dryer to de-ice them. I figure if the car is doing that, I am looking at $1000 to replace the coils. My only hope was that it seemed unlikely that just a minute or two of vent would clear the ice. Also, the system gets nice and cold until it stops blowing), and I haven't had to add freon in years. Would an ice-up be possible without a leak? And if so, what can be done about it? Thx.

That I do not know. I just offered the most likely cause I could think of.
It might be worth having a professional look at it and eliminating that possibility if you can. Some have a free diagnosis offer.

Good Luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 AM
MexicanFightingBeagle

Did some researching on the coils freezing idea and that really sounds like the most likely problem. I was glad to read that there were possible causes for the problem that might NOT result in having to take the entire car apart to replace the coils. I'm taking it in Tuesday. Appreciate the advice.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 PM
swede_x

Did some researching on the coils freezing idea and that really sounds like the most likely problem. I was glad to read that there were possible causes for the problem that might NOT result in having to take the entire car apart to replace the coils. I'm taking it in Tuesday. Appreciate the advice.
Not a problem, when I find out something about neons that I can help with I post it here if I can. Most of the guys who really know the dodge stuff are over on the RAM pages. Not too bad since I also own a RAM, but yeah, they don't come over here much so it's up to us to help each other out when we can.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:47 AM
tired old man
Veteran
Default Head light multifunction switch

this did not become a new thread like I wanted it to

sorry

Old 09-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Beahn322
Exclamation Climate control

I am having a problem with my 2003 NEON SXT heat.
I have gone through the steps to what most common problems are from changing thermostat, and heater core with NO LUCK. so I started playing with ***** and realized my Vents dont change either. Its locked with ALL vents open and blowing.

I took apart most of my dash and found what must be the issue. There are Broken "gears" so to speak in the back. The wire that controled the gear in question does not connect to anything (so guessing heat stuck on cool) and the gears that change the vent theres a "lever" thats moves up and down thats broken.

I decided to stop by my local Dodge Dealership and Service location, to be told they will charge $100/Hour! I refuse to pay that, I have done most of the diagnostic and labor taking it apart, but feel they will take thier time to replace it and charge me outrageous prices for something that should be almost pretty simple

I have tried googling a bunch of things from "Neon Climate Control wiring", "Inner Dash Heat Gears" I cant seem to find anything pointing me in the direction I need.

I live in Upstate NY and winter is approaching quickly, I travel 30-40 mins to work, I cant even defrost my window to see.... Someone please HELP

Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 PM
speedy1online

I have a 2000 dodge neon with a new radiator , thermostat and heater core has been flushed.I can not get any heat in the car. I have blocked the radiator 100 percent and still no heat ! Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing this? Winter is here and burrrrrrr its cold .Thanks for any and all help !

Quick Reply: Common Dodge Neon Repairs and Problems