Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

03 Dodge Neon got me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
luckyleaf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Dodge Neon got me stumped

first I must say thanks for the forum

here's my problem

I have done everything I could think of to solve this problem wasting money on buying things I didn't need

here's what I've done so far
replace crank, cam, map, all oxygen sensors
radiator, thermostat.

don't know if this has anything to do with it, but all my problems started after a mechanic replaced idle tensioner pulley

started off with a slightly noticeable spark knock or ping noice when accelerating( I've always use 93 octane) the noise has progressively gotten louder

the car is missing at idle, have to put it in neutral so the car won't cut off at stops,

anytime I turn on any electrical defogger, lights, fan,etc, it puts a load on the motor to where is almost shuts off, almost like a bad ground wire

yesterday I ran some seafoam in vacuum line and it finally gave me a code( idle air control insufficient current to motor and also cam sensor code. mechanic told me the motor had to be replaced but code said insufficient current to the motor. that just sounds to me like the current is weak not the motor bad

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks for reading

Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM
sbzro870

Have you tried replacing the camshaft position sensor? That has a lot to do with timing which is what it sounds like to me. Also, have you load tested the battery and check alternator? It sounds like when you load the battery the alt isn't putting enough back into battery. I had to replace the alternator on my 05 SXT. They are really expensive so make sure you rule alt out before you buy one. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM
sbzro870

By the way, camshaft position sensor really easy to change. 4 small bolts. I'd do that first.

Quick Reply: 03 Dodge Neon got me stumped