Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Occassional problem starting - Engine Light - Followed by problems accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
scooter#420
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occassional problem starting - Engine Light - Followed by problems accelerating

Neon Fans

Thanks for reading this. This dodge neon 2004 2.0 liter of ours has been getting symptoms.

Most of the time it runs just fine.

Then, after a day of turning it on and off a lot by driving and doing errands, it can either get an engine light or have problems starting. If this happens the car most likely will have issues with power while accelerating in the 30-40 range.

It's like the car jerks a little bit when it should be accelerating but it is like a lack of power.

I pull over turn off the car for a minute, then back on and most of the time that works.

The engine light may persist for a while but then can go away for a while until it happens all over again.

The engine light sensors are for knock and cam sensors.

My mechanic cannot definitively tell me what's wrong though.

since these symptoms started we have put in a new timing belt with pump. I also have put in new spark plugs, wires, coil pack & recently a new cam shaft sensor.

I was hoping it was the cam sensor but the issue arose later on that same day.

Any ideas? Any sensors I might replace next?

Thank you for any help you guys can afford me.

Indinapolis Neon Owner

Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 AM
carproblems_man
Default 2005 dodge neon

I have had similar problems and have just replaced many sensors and parts I can get back to you with a complete list and it helped solve my problems

Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 AM
scooter#420

Originally Posted by carproblems_man
I have had similar problems and have just replaced many sensors and parts I can get back to you with a complete list and it helped solve my problems
Thank you..I've been since told that electrical issue may be the cause as well.

I swapped out a Throttle Position Sensor and for months it ran fine with no issues but then they started up again.

Quick Reply: Occassional problem starting - Engine Light - Followed by problems accelerating