Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

03 Neon SXT Problems // Throttle Wide Open & Break Peddle Rock Hard

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 PM
charliebrown233
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 Neon SXT Problems // Throttle Wide Open & Break Peddle Rock Hard

Hi. So I have an 03 dodge neon sxt.

One day I was coming off highway and it stopped fine; then as i proceeded and brought the rpms up, they wouldn't drop below what I had pushed it up to, then it rev'd even more as I tried to stop for the car in front of me. Forced to pop it in neutral and use my E-Brake to stop me. Now when I turn it on it acts as if the throttle is wide open, and the break peddle doesn't release its tension.

Not sure if its a contributing factor; but I feel as if I've been losing break booster power over the past week; basically spongy break peddle. No I don't have a leak in break-lines, and yes fluid was topped off, and pads were done 2 months ago.

I'm hoping vacuum leak? I'm horrible with diagnosing, but if you tell me what part is broken then i'm good with following directions/diagrams/ using my basic car knowledge to replace what's wrong.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like the brake booster main vacuum line. Open the hood and look. It's the large rubber hose going from the booster to the intake manifold. Either that or your brake booster has failed internally.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:01 PM
charliebrown233
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Stupid me forgot to tighten the clamp that holds the hose running from the Airbox to the Engine. (after checking out tranny mount)... must have come loose when i hit the gas coming off the highway. Easy fix tho!

But thanks for your response, my car is like fam.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Saves a lot of time if you check things out yourself first. Lol

Old 11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by charliebrown233
Stupid me forgot to tighten the clamp that holds the hose running from the Airbox to the Engine. (after checking out tranny mount)... must have come loose when i hit the gas coming off the highway. Easy fix tho!

But thanks for your response, my car is like fam.
I've done that before. Oops!

Quick Reply: 03 Neon SXT Problems // Throttle Wide Open & Break Peddle Rock Hard