Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2000 Neon no crank no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:03 AM
Razgriz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2000 Neon no crank no start.

Hello I'm posting because I can't find a solid answer to this problem or something to fix it. I will be as detailed as I can be with my problem. Sorry if this is a similar post to other people. I just know it's unique to every car and their problems.

(Back history)
This first started close to the end of 2015. Go to the car because I had to go to town, go to start the car and nothing. First reaction was to check the battery because it was old and might need a jump. Yes, good deal I'm off.

A few days later I need to get my brother to school for practice. Go to start the car and nothing. Checked the battery and volts was enough to crank but starter still wouldn't do anything. Took about 2 weeks to get the money saved to get a new starter. Put the new one on, turned the key and cranked, started but the running was a bit rough at first. But after running a few minutes it seemed to not bother it. Ran like it always did. Thought problem was solved but no. Back to square one. Turn the key and (tick) after messing around with it for about a month I took the starter back and exchanged it for another. Just to remove a bad starter from the mix. Got the band new one on and nothing but a (tick).

So I checked my fuses, replaced the bad ones. Moved the relays around so that maybe a bad one would go for the horn relay and the rest would hit what I needed for the car to actually start and crank. After moving the relays it started right up. After driving for about a week it goes back to square one all over again. Turn the key and (tick). When I placed my hand over the main fuse and relay compartment I feel a slight thump (Like flicking your finger to the palm of your hand very lightly.) At that point I asked a local mechanic if that was normal. Because I've looked online for several days and some people said it was. He told me yes, it is normal. But he also added for me to check my battery terminals and wires to see if they needed replacing. I have not tried this yet as I haven't got the money in hand as of now. (Waiting for payday.) I went and looked/cleaned the cables to the battery to be safe. Took the ground off the starter's top bolt to make sure the area and the end was cleaned so it'll have a good connection so that it'll ground properly. (Of course I had to move the Throttle body to get to the top bolt easier... My dumb *** forgot to tighten the throttle body tube back so no extra air flow would get inside and cause it to screw up more.) Go to start and... over revving and back fires. Woohoo it starts now! but runs like ****. (No didn't drive it, just let it idle.) Looked at everything and F***! Turned the car off, fixed the throttle body back. Go to turn it on thinking that was it I've got it now! Turn the key annnnd!!!! (tick) -_-

(Present day 1/11/16)
After researching and taking a break from this car 2000 Dodge Plymouth Neon with the 2.0L 16 valve 4 cylinder engine. I think in all honesty it has a bad ground. Or, the relay box might be going out or something? I've had it running about 4 times today. I don't know how? Or if something might be loose and getting a connection at some points? I just don't know... I've never had this much problems with any other car I have owned.

What do you people think my problem could be?

Here's what I'm thinking it could be.
- Bad connect/cable ground from battery terminal to starter bolt.
- Main fuse and relay center under the hood has a bad connection.
- Relays might be going bad or, has a safety switch causing no start no crank.
- Ignition switch might be going bad? (Friend told me if I hear the (tick) then it should be fine as it's sounds like it's doing it's job.)

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'll consider every aspect of getting this car up and running again.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Filtermejan

So have you don't the turn key odometer code check? Sounds like mine when the upstream O2 sensor went

Old 02-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Razgriz

Originally Posted by Filtermejan
So have you don't the turn key odometer code check? Sounds like mine when the upstream O2 sensor went
It was the computer on the car. The one thing I did not have the money to replace. So I had no choice to trade it in for something that actually would get me to and from work so that I wouldn't lose my job. Only other sensor that was going bad was the torque converter one. But I thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon no crank no start.