Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

poor gas milage on my sxt!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:17 AM
CA180
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: poor gas milage on my sxt!

yeah, i notice quite a power gain as well as gas mileage increase, when the a/c is off... it sucks here in oklahoma were the temp outside is 100+ everyday and in the high 90's at night... but you get used to it... ive found that if you cut the a/c on and let it get good and cold, then cut it off for a few miles, it still stays pretty cold... then when it gets warm, just cut it on again, then off again... i know it sucks goin back and forth like that... but it sure beats payin alot for gas, especially at 2.97 a gallon here. Another thing is, dont run the a/c on recirculate, when you do this it is like putting the a/c on max... when you do that the a/c compressor is always on, which is what causes the strain on the motor. When its on blow through from the outside vent, the compressor is on until it reaches a certain pressure or temperature and then cuts off. this setting seems to use the least amount of effort and gas to function.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Jaime340
Professional

wow 2.97$ its 3.19 in south cal. anyways i think i will do the small things first, such as air filter, fuel filtre maybe new spark plugs. do you think i might have to change the wires to? do you guys think the tornados and stuff like that works? you know the stuff that gose in the intake to move the air flow faster. thanx again for all the info so far.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 AM
CA180
Rookie

ummm.... no, the tornado would just be a piece of crap in your intake....

One thing is to always make sure your tires are aired up. I pound of difference in a tire can effect the mileage

Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
fraggle_a
Professional

2.98 here in Central Florida.

Agreed with above.
Keep your tiers aired up.
Keep your intake clean and your exhaust opperating efficiently.

Ill usualy inspect a plug every 5,000 miles to look for possible problems and catch them early. (use a little seize preventer on the threads for the plugs)
Clean the exhaust outlet and keep an eye out for soot buildup out of the ordinary.

Watch the revs of the engine. Try not to cruise at a speed thats going to keep the engine in high reves (like the wives like to do)

Alright!
After doing my to and fro from work today ith the A/C off, I got 70 miles on a little over 1/8th of a tank.
My mark is 100 miles on a quarter tank. If I can get that, Ill be about even with my old 3 banger geo Metro (10 Gal tank).

Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 AM
thisisrightnow

Yeah AC can definitely have an effect on poor gas mileage. I took my car to the Dodge dealership to have looked at and they told me there was no mechanical issues with my car. And I told the guy I've been getting bad gas mileage (there were times I drove less than 20 miles into downtown and back and maybe into town again and that already took a quarter of a tank), but he asked me if I drove with my AC on and I told him yeah. And he told me to drive with my AC off and see how it runs, so I've been driving with my AC off, and it gets way better gas mileage and acceleration. You'll be surprised.

I found myself putting 10 dollars in my tank one day and having to refill it up again the next day. That's how terrible my gas mileage was. But now I can put like 5 dollars in it and go for quite a few miles.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: aJester

You will be surprised to see that although your tank is 12.5, you end up filling *ONLY* 8 - 9 gallons.
This is because when the refuel light comes on, chances are it might still have between 2 - 3 gallons still remaining in your tank. So NEVER estimate the amount of gas remaining in your tank when you can get the EXACT value when you pump.
Exactly what I was thinking, but some may still have problems, you never know.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
CA180
Rookie

well, so far on my wifey's neon we found that the downstream o2 sensor was acting goofy, we checked it in comparison to my neon and it seems real slow. A slow acting or faulty o2 sensor can cause a rich burn situation,,, which is probably the problem on my girls car... It's a special order part so it'll be a few days before i find something out, but i'll let you guys know soon

Old 08-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Jaime340
Professional

a rich burn situation, dose it couse a strong gas smell? and wont the check engine light come on?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 AM
CA180
Rookie

ehh, not if its pretty small difference... believe me, i have had this thing sitting and running in the shop for a couple hours at a time with a drbIII (the scanner we use to find out what wrong with a car) and it didnt turn on the CEL, but was noticeable enough to cause a variation in the a/f mixture.... so maybe if it where an extreme case, then yes... but in my case, no real signs, just 12mpg and an angry wife LOL

Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

i get about 35-40 on highway at 100kmh , and in the city i get MABEY 35

Quick Reply: poor gas milage on my sxt!