Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

poor gas milage on my sxt!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 AM
neon chic
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: poor gas milage on my sxt!

ORIGINAL: Jaime340

what kind of gas milage is everyone out there getting on there neon? i just got one about a week ago due to high gas prices. i have a magnum rt thats a gas guzzler in town, that we thought we werent going to drive as much couse of the gas. the manuel says the neon has 12.5 fuel tank and it gave us about 150 mi before the fuel light came on. am i not doing the math right? thats like less than 12mi per gal. however it has been about 105 to 108 in tempiture and the A/C has been on full blast non stop. please help, jaime

I get about 275+ to a tank and i am no way near tryin to convserve gas i want to get to where im goin as quick as i can and beating as many people as i can if i drove conservatively i think id be up around 285+

have u ran a tank of premium thru it lately to clean everythin? id try that and tire pressure and a thru the tank injector cleaner

Old 11-07-2006, 09:06 PM
winsettz
Veteran

I hit 170 miles at 'round half tank, I usually refill at half or quarter. Mileage high twenties on an MTX and I *WISH* I could get thirties and above, since on paper EPA nums are 29/41.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 AM
Dare_2_Dodge

Mine dont have bad mileage.... the problem with me filling my gas tank up every couple of days is that i drive everywhere!!!! for otehr people... I hate being the only one with the car. Granted they pay me for the gas but that's not the point.

The point is that im putting 500 miles a week on the car and it will soon take its toll. i will get her tuned up again in january after she sits for a couple weeks without being driven. Im leaving the country on a vacation and my baby deserves a break.

I rarely use A/C. If i do, it is always on 1 or 2 power and never on long. 02 neons have a sunroof (mine does at least) so I crack it alittle and open the vents but leave the compressor off so the outflow from the sunroof pulls air through the vents. Works fine on cool days and even on hot days but, you you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

18-20 City mileage
28-29 Hwy

Short Ram Air
Edelbrock muffler
580 Watt Dual Amp
Two 12" Dual Subwoofers
205/60 tires on Stock 15" rims
Cut mesh grille
Aftermarket fogs
Front bumper encrusted with "love-bugs"

Old 12-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Wrechin2

You need to take it to a dealer who has someone who knows what they are looking at on the DRB III. A downsream O2 has NOTHING to do with fuel mixture. A correctly operating downstream O2 should switch approx 1 time for every 6 swiches of a upstream. It is there only to monitor the converters efficency. We are turning the exhaust into O2 and H2O during the process. That is why it is called a CONVERTER. We will havea O2 withslower switch rates. I have found many problem that do not set a CEL on. I have found maps that show barometric pressure to be 28.8 and truely be 29.5. The pcm doesn't know it is not. It updates on start up and WOT, or the coolant shows to be 180* and be 210*(colder engine requires more fuel, that is how you benefit by "tricking" the pcm into thinking it is colder when it is not). All of these will cause the fuel to be inaccurate. This can beEASILY detected by the fuel adaptives, if you know how to read them. On Chrysler vehicle a TJ may require the adaptives to be 40% +/- (long term and short term combined) before it turns on a light and a neon be 50% +/- to turn onlight (not accurate numbers just example). All vehicles have different limits. It changes from update to update and year to year. Just flashed a Dakota PCM for a Lean code set and does not have a lean condition. The program has higher limits before setting a lean code. Iam a Technician not a mechanic. I do 75% of the drivability work at my dealership (Prebul Automotive Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler). If you are close to Chattanooga, TN I would be happy to look at yours. PM me and we will get together.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 PM
mannyg26
Default Bad MPG Fixed. From 16mpg to 25 26 mpg

Every car issue is different. My car was around 15 or 16 MPG with no missing or any code. In my case after been searching online for an answered and spending money in parts finally I fixed. I have a SXT w/ SRT-4 body kit that I bougth 2 months ago
1-Throttle cleaner.... till bad.
2- After put brand new Platinum Spark when I bought it I did replace them back for regular NGK and new Spark plus wire...... till bad
3-Air filter changed.....till bad
4-PCV changed.....till bad
5-Tire PSI checked....till bad
6-fuel filter........till bad
I Almost buy a fuel pump. So I Kept looking online. I saw few videos Cleaning a IAC valve with Carburator Cleaner.... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from 16 MPG to around 24,25 MPG a $3 problem fix my car.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
mannyg26

Bad MPG Fixed. From 16mpg to 25 26 mpg
Every car issue is different. My car was around 15 or 16 MPG with no missing or any code. In my case after been searching online for an answered and spending money in parts finally I fixed. I have a SXT w/ SRT-4 body kit that I bougth 2 months ago
1-Throttle cleaner.... till bad.
2- After put brand new Platinum Spark when I bought it I did replace them back for regular NGK and new Spark plus wire...... till bad
3-Air filter changed.....till bad
4-PCV changed.....till bad
5-Tire PSI checked....till bad
6-fuel filter........till bad
I Almost buy a fuel pump. So I Kept looking online. I saw few videos Cleaning a IAC valve with Carburator Cleaner.... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from 16 MPG to around 24,25 MPG a $3 problem fix my car.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: poor gas milage on my sxt!