Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Neon coilpack

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon coilpack

Hey guys. I was wondering if a coilpack from a 2.0 dohc would work on a 2.0 sohc. I was at the boneyard and all I could find that were good were from doubles. THANKS!!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Default RE: Neon coilpack

I called the local dodge dealer and he was good enough to lookup the part numbers for a 1997 SOHD and DOHC. They are the same part number.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Exubus
Champion

I used to build the Neon coil packs... they are exactly the same. In fact, if you pop the hood on a Dodge Viper built between 1995 and2005, you'll find the 4SP Neon coil pack mounted side-by-side with 6SP Caravan coil pack feeding the V10 (only with different cylinder numbers molded on the posts of each).

Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 AM
ewetho
All Star

Just make sure to get the Flat or Round terminals on your connector as required.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Ok Thanks guys I was just wondering because they look a little different on the outside and I didnt have my old one with me to compare. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like said.....they are the same as long as you check the years first....
95-mid 96 have the round pin style and late 96-99 have the flat pin style.....

Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

like said.....they are the same as long as you check the years first....
95-mid 96 have the round pin style and late 96-99 have the flat pin style.....
... but be advised that even if you wind up with a connector mismatch, the internal guts are the same and the pins still line up the same way whether it's a pin connector (newer) or a blade connector (older)... so in other words no matter which coil you use both of them use the same exact pin positions in the connector to fire the same cylinder #'s... and if you get coils that don't look the same because of the metal on the secondary posts, don't worry about that either... we quit making the coils with brass terminals in 2001 and made them with steel terminals instead after that (steel was much cheaper than the brass; no electrical difference with high-frequency voltage between brass and steel, and steel is stronger to shock). But anyway just letting you know that on the inside, they're exactly the same no matter what.

But if you are able to switch wiring harnesses too, go with the flat "blade" connector coils (the newer ones). The reasons we changed to the blade connector over the round "pin" connector was because the pin connectors sometimes had a high failure rate and would block the current running into the coil pack... it was a molding defect that would come up that we got sick of throwing away money on it so we changed it to the blade connector and voila, problem solved.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Thats great info!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that no one has mentioned it, but just in case, the MSD coil has the exact same output as the stock coil for those thinking of upgrading their coil. The Screaming Demon is the only one I know of that is an upgrade as far as energy output.

Quick Reply: Neon coilpack