Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Remote starter for diesel truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote starter for diesel truck

I'd like to just be able to set it to start 1 minute after pushing the button all the time. I don't think that would hurt anything, and I don't thing even on the coldest of days that I had to wait more than minute.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
bozinw

First, Im new to DF, so if this is the wrong place to post this let me know and I will add it to a different section.

I have a 99 ram 2500 diesel, I bought a Ultra Start remote start with lock / unlock. In the wiring diagram it says the wait to start wire, along with the Tac wire is in the black (not white) connector on the firewall. I found the plug and ran the two wires to it, so here is my problem's...

A: there are two Orange black wires inthat conenctor, I did ameter check on one andI believe I have the correct wire, just need some one to agree, With a multimeter,with the key on, the wire shows nothing until the light goes out on the dashand then shows current, this would obiously be a -12V line, can I use this wire to hook into the remote start (wait to start wire)... If not, is there a better place to look. Also, the instructions say nothing about =12V or -12V connection to this wire for wait to start.

Second and possibly more important. When I was testing the wiresI hadto unplug the connector (see above) to tap the Tac wire, when I got back in the truckto make sure the truck was good, the engine light cameon, hooked up the ODB 2 and there was three errors that came up saying the glow plug's were not reading correctly and the ECM was not gettingno signal, after starting and stopping the truck a few times the Engine light went out and all seems to be back to normal. I am guessing that this happened due to me unplugging the connector under the hood.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Look forward to some help. PS: great site!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: Salsero

How many of you have remote starters on your diesel trucks. I have a 2500 cummins, and I have a viper remote starter on it but it seems to be starting my truck without waiting for the light on the dash to turn off. Is this ok to do that or should I have the starter re-adjusted for diesel start-up?
I have a Viper remote on mine, if we have the same one...you should have 3 buttons on the side, thats the one I have and if its the one you have you have to hit the Aux button once, and the horn button twice to make the truck wait for th eheat screen.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
agargano98
Veteran

mine is a compustar, it delay's 60 seconds before it cranks

Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
bozinw

Thanks for the replies, I have neither of the ones you have, it is an Ultra Start 1270A-TL. The unit, once I figure these "issues" out, will program automatically once I put power to the unit and program it.

I am more concerned with the wiring of the glow plug (Wait to start)wire and the error codes that came up on the ODB...

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
sallyman1
Captain

DONT DO IT. buy beer instead seriously. i had one and got it removed because it wouldnt start my truck in cold weather. The install was $700 canadian and The place I took it into was 2 hours away. I missed 3 days of work in total and ended up going there 7 times. Counting fuel for my truck , missing work and meals It costed me about $2100. I did end up getting it removed and got my $700 back. I bought a edge juice attitude instead with the money

DONT DO it unless your not feeling right upsatirs

Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
bozinw

This is already installed, and I cant blame anyone but myself as I did the installation. Other than this not starting in cold weather (define cold weather - like negitive #'s) did the unitwork?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

it was around 15 degrees yesterday durring the day where im at and i got a remote start that waits 30 seconds b4 it fires and it wouldent start. i tried it 3 times untill i had to say hell with it. these trucks dont heat up untill you drive them anyways so i was not worried about it, i just feel that the truck runs better out of the driveway when i let it idle for a minute or 2 and being that i have it installed i use it.

IMO.... it might be good for a gasser, but for the 5.9 diesel...... WORSE INVESTMENT YET!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Mayfair
Legend

That's pretty surprising that 30 seconds wasn't long enough. Does it work OK when it's not as cold.

I'm really curious about the relay idea. I have a Viper, but it's an older one that you can't delay the start. I don't quite get how a relay will delay the start.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
speakle
All Star

You have the correct wire but I believe that would be a + wire. Check it like so (I pulled this off another forum):
To find the (+) WAIT-TO-START wire
1. Set the multi-meter to DC voltage.
2. Attach the (+) probe to 12V Constant
3. Probe the wire you suspect leads to the bulb with the (-) probe of the meter
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position
5. If the meter reads 0V until the light goes out and then reads 12V that is the correct wire

If your input on the rs unit is not selectable between +- you will have to wire in a relay. Using a SPDT relay (87a in the middle) wire it like so:
Pins 85 and 87 to vehicle ground.
Pin 30 to WTS input on RS unit.
Pin 86 to the trucks WTS light.

Whne the trucks liight goes off you get 12v to close the relay and show the RS ground.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for diesel truck