Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Overdrive ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:39 PM
jiaram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive ON or OFF?

I've got a 96 Ram 3500 Turbo diesel that I use to pull my gooseneck horse trailer. All together, truck trailer and horses amonts to just about 15K pounds. The thing is this, on flat terrain, especially going thru stop lights, if I accelerate from a full stop with the OD OFF, the engine gets to probably 2500 RPM or a little bit over and very very slowly picks up speed. It takes a while to get it to 45 or 50 mph. Now, if I leave the OD ON, surprisingly, the truck gets up to speed much quicker, with the RPMs not getting even closer to the 2500 mark. The question is...do I keep it ON?....will my transmission suffer? or do I turn the OD off and go to snail pace?

Old 09-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Overdrive ON or OFF?

You've got other problems going on here that you need to track down... No idea what they are, but they're definately not good. Sounds like your trans or torque converter is allowing major slippage when the OD switch is off.

DEFINATELY leave the switch in the ON position until you get up to speed. Otherwise you're likely to cook the trans cause something is allowing slippage that shouldn't be. Once you get to speed, shift the OD off if you feel it's neccessary. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:50 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very much like a valve body problem. Pretty common on higher mileage units. They run about 900.00, not real cheap. If I had to guess I'd say it's downshifting into 1st gear and you are launching in 2nd. Try counting shifts all the way to freeway speeds and see if you get 2 or 3 shifts.

haha, you got me

Old 09-11-2004, 03:04 AM
prerunner
Captain

ummmmmm...if he gets 2 or 3 ****s b4 getting to freeway speeds....its gonna get very messy in his truck!!!!!!!![8D][8D]

Old 09-14-2004, 12:26 AM
prerunner
Captain

lol...sry dodgemech..i couldn't resist it

Old 10-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Fiddle Player
Champion

If I'm climbing a really steep hill I turn my OD off because it seems to help me maintain the speed instead of losing it and really hearing and feeling the tranny shift hard just to keep up... especially in cruise which I turn off also when climbing very steep hills.

Karen

Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 PM
mysecondram

ORIGINAL: Snafu

You've got other problems going on here that you need to track down...
I agree.A turbo diesel should have no problem going annywhere.Maybe you are just loosing boost somewhere and it seems like its the trans.I would invest in a boost guage.They are cheap and easy to install.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Overdrive ON or OFF?