Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

turbo cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
2008cummings
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo cleaning

So anyone here have the O2 sensor and had the turbo cleaned and it actually worked? My truck is getting it done right now once they get some parts. I have not read anywhere that it has worked. It is in for the 4th time so if it doesn't work then lemon law.

Just curious about if it ever worked.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
2008cummings
Professional

Noone out here that has gone through this?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 AM
captjim1

They are gonna drill a hole and shoot some cleaner in and clean your sensors. Didnt work for me.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM
mjackson92rs
Professional

no go. my dad just had his whole turbo replaced under warranty and hasn't had a problem in a whole three months. *fingers crossed*

Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM
2008cummings
Professional

yeah well the parts will be in monday and honestly hoping it doesn't work because this will be the 4th time and if it happens again lemon law

Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
SpLaT
Captain

2008cummings, question or two for you. Just some thoughts, you may already be aware of these.

Do you do alot of city driving and or lots idling?
Do you operate your truck with the exhaust brake engaged?
Reason I ask is with a lot of city driving the engine isn't getting hot enough, may need to lad it up and get out onto the highway and drive it hard, to help clean the DPF. If you do any idling over 10minutes at a time, that hurts too. To help keep the turbo soot free run with the Exhaust Brake engaged it help when idling and/or driving around town to keep the engine hotter, which in turn helps in reducing the soot build up.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
jbs6262

"Waiting on parts to come in" translates into "Make this guy wait a week and he'll think we're actually doing something to his truck." Just drive your truck, there is nothing wrong with it, there is a flaw in the system telling the computer there's soot builup, it will turn itself off. Quit wasting your time and money taking it to a dealer. Don't delete anything, don't add anything, just drive your truck. You can't invoke the lemon law if there's nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM
82nd Double-A

My 08 CTD did the same thing. When I arrived at the dealer after I scheduled an appt to have them look at the "check engine light," the light went out and they had to look at the error history. They determined it was a clogged Turbo so they ordered this part. The bottom line is that I did not return to have them install it and the light goes on and off at different intervals. I own and pull a 36' fifth wheel but typically drive in city conditions. I try to open it up at on-ramps but I'm always cautious of getting ticketed and I run the exhaust break at times. Unless the light remains on for more than two weeks, I'll resist any modifications until a long-term solution is developed. I hope I'm not making things worse.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM
2008cummings
Professional

well truck is still at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Don't care really because just adding days to lemon law this truck. oh well. How can you say nothing is wrong? ythe truck runs sluggish diue to the turbo clogged.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbs6262
"Waiting on parts to come in" translates into "Make this guy wait a week and he'll think we're actually doing something to his truck." Just drive your truck, there is nothing wrong with it, there is a flaw in the system telling the computer there's soot builup, it will turn itself off. Quit wasting your time and money taking it to a dealer. Don't delete anything, don't add anything, just drive your truck. You can't invoke the lemon law if there's nothing wrong with the vehicle.
The truck has been to the dealer several times, it's throwing check engine lights left and right, but there'es nothing wrong with it? I've never spent 30-40K on a new truck, but if I did, I sure wouldn't "just drive it" without having (or at least attempting) it fixed. Also, what exactly is the "flaw" in the system telling the computer there's a soot buildup?

Quick Reply: turbo cleaning