Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

major problems with 6.7 cummins

Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Ralph78
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: major problems with 6.7 cummins

ORIGINAL: bksram3500

The problem you were having is now resolved it just took a new program on mine and I havn't had trouble since. Anytime they come out with something new give them a little time to work the bugs out. I am sure they will do fine.
I am not so sure about the "They will do fine" bit. I know 3 guys that went with the 07 6.7 CTD one ton dualy. ALL THREE HAVE HAD THE TRUCKS INTO THE SHOP REPEATTEDLY OVER THE PAST 4 MONTHS. One truck has had a new turbo, a new transmission and various assorted bugs with the engine drive train. One guy had his engine replaced after only 3,400 miles. The third has had num. drivability problems, and the dealer has hed the truck more that he has for the past 3 months.

I understand one of the big fleet rental companies purchased 40-60 of these trucks and 80% have had a LOT of problems, most within the first 5,000 miles. I understand that A BIG LAWSUIT IS IN THE WORKS.

I wonder what the experience of our Forum members is, with respect to the 07 6.7L CTD?

I'm just going to keep my 98 12 Valve until it rusts away or my survivors need to do something with it.

Ralph

Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I had one problem in the first week I had my truck It was fixed and I have been driving it for nearly three months 7500 mile and love it. I haven't seen many people on the forum with problems either.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 AM
sabersix

Cross post of a poll taken on another forum.

Regen Problems Poll

As you can see, the majority (about 84%) have had no problems or have had their problem fixed.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have not had any problems with mine (knock on wood). I have about 4,500 miles on it, mostly from commuting to work. It started blowing soot out the tailpipe at about 1,400 miles (the exhaust was soot-free before that). I have had no messages on the overhead computer about the DPF filling up. My Edge monitor tells me when it enters the regeneration mode, which happens about every 50 miles and lasts about 10 minutes.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 AM
steelguitarist

Ralph78... You stated...
I understand one of the big fleet rental companies purchased 40-60 of these trucks and 80% have had a LOT of problems, most within the first 5,000 miles. I understand that A BIG LAWSUIT IS IN THE WORKS.
Can you tell us which fleet rental company it was? Where is the information coming from?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: steelguitarist

Ralph78... You stated...
Can you tell us which fleet rental company it was? Where is the information coming from?
I did not write down the site info, I was looking for some information on another subject and just came accros the post on another forum. As I scanned 10-12 forums, I don't even remember which one it was on. The problem with the internet is that anyone can say anything and it takes on life as a "FACT". As I am not in the market for a new truck, I don't plan on doing a Google search on the subject, but it should be easy to find out what the story is if one is willing to take the time to research it. If the same data comes up from several seperate sources, it MAY be accurate.

As to the three guys I work with in the Oil Patch, I know for sure they had the problems as described. At this time, I only know 5 people with the new 6.7L CTD engine, so a severe problem rate of 60% seems pretty bad. Keep in mind that the size of the sample must be 100 or more for the % Problem Rate to mean anything. Perhaps someone could start a poll of 6.7L CDT owners on this forum.

Ralph

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I tried a Google search using several combinations of the keywords rental, cummins, fleet, lawsuit, etc. I am usually adept at keyword and other Boolean searches, but I could not find anything relating to fleets with 6.7L engines. If anybody else finds anything about this, please share with the forum.

As for what Welder73 says, you shouldn't have to drive at highway speeds for 45 minutes for the regeneration process to work. It probably works best at highway speeds, but my 6.7L Cummins will regen at almost any speed. Idling for more than about a minute will interrupt the regen, as will foot-to-the-floor accelerating. I would think that extended idling at a jobsite would not be too bad for the engine as long as you operate it at normal speeds once in awhile.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
finny
All Star

why dont people get it. when a new model of a vehicle comes out it is gunna have problums. there is nothing you can do,it doesnt matter ford chevy dodge, it is bound to happen.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Welder73,

You can have the dealer turn on the high idle so that it works with the curise control buttons, then when your truck is setting in Park for 15-20 minutes you can use it to run the engine between 1000 and 1500 RPM's. I guess I should say I know that all of the late model 5.9's have a high idle that can be turned on by the dealer as I have it on mine and many others do too. Anyway call your dealer to get yours turned on ( it takes about 5 minutes for them to set it up) as you know that you will need it come wintertime. Oh you may want to invest in a Dodge winter front that fits under the hood on the radiator crawl and they work great or I should say it does on my truck.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Drew

atleast fire wasnt comeing out of the exhaust
U read my mind...... Moving from a Cummins 6.7 to a power joke is like moving from your apartment to the outhouse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: major problems with 6.7 cummins