Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trailer plug wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
edgy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After two frustrating days of trying to fix my trailer lights I found an inexpensive solution. Apparently, when a tail light is shorted the TIPM cuts the power to that side. It is supposed to reset when the ignition switch is cycled. Mine does not. I tried whiping the memory and still had the same problem. I learned that the dealers want to replace the module at your expense ($500.00) or up. I found a tail light converter at my local parts store. It takes independent brake and turn signals and combines them to a single wire. I hooked it up to my left side lights and it works perfectly. It will work on right as well, but those are OK. The price was $15.00 and took 5 minutes to install. Thank you Dodge for over engeneering an otherwise simple fuction where a fuse could be replaced. I hope they will recognize and remedy this problem as a recall.

Last edited by edgy; 07-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
herbt

Now this makes sense.

Thanks Edgy

The TIPM is probably some gov mandated safety nonsense to make our lives more miserable and expensive.

Herbt

Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM
edgy

Your welcome Herbt. I hope this works for you. Btw the TIPM is the Totaly Integrated Power Module. It runs the whole truck. I believe all the power is routed through it. If there is an electrical problem, check there first. It is under all the fuses next to the battery and can be checked with a code reader from under the dash. Except, in this case, it is defective.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:04 PM
herbt

OOPS, I guess we cant get rid of the TIPM then.
Have not tried your fix yet but i will let you know when i do.

Herbt

Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM
herbt
Default trailer plug converter

Hey Edgy

Got that trailer plug converter installed this morning and it works great.

Thanks for solving a long standing mystery for me.

Herbt

Quick Reply: Trailer plug wiring issue