Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Got my new turbo in, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 PM
R0oster31
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new turbo in, got some questions

So I put my turbo in about a week and a half ago.I was lucky because I had a wedding the end of last week that got a 1000 miles on the turbo quick so I could start playing a little. I went with the silver 62 because it was supposed to flow a lot of air and spool up quick. It is a 62 mm compressor in a 14 cm housing with a special exhaust wheel. I haven't had any surging issues or anything like that, but its spool is kind of slow. I'm not going to lie, I play around with my truck once in a while, but not a ton. My question is, with the new turbo how do I get it to get off the line quick. The old turbo in the little bit of playing around I did I found 3rd gear with 2k rpm was good as long as I didn't spin the tires to much. I did it once with the edge and it netted a 5.8 0-60 time which is ok for spinning the tires more than I wanted to. After I got 1k on the new turbo I decided to do the comparison run and it was a 6.2. The truck is really slow off the line and I tried a few different things. I noticed that the new turbo spools later and the egt's run higher when I am just driving down the highway, but if I get on it a little the egt's are much lower than the old turbo. Part of that could be that I have the edge set at 40psi because I don't have my studs in yet. If I turn on the water meth the backdown is between 95 and 100 percent and the boost will sit at 40 to 41 psi, without the water meth it sits at 80 to 85 percent and will hold 40 even. So how do I get the turbo to spool a little bit before I start so once I start it will get off the line hard? On a different note I'm hoping to get my studs in there either this weekend ornext so I can see what the turbo will really do. I have a manual transmission by the way.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Got my new turbo in, got some questions

from what I know... the 14mm exhaust housing is a little large. Also, you say a speial exhaust turbine ? It that a " low drive pressure" wheel ? That isn't going to help either. It takes more air to get one going sine it's larger wheel and with the larger exhaust housing you have, it's gonna be harder for it to spool up

You may have to go down to a small exhaust housing if it really becomes a problem. I don't know how the 2nd gens work but, my 3rd gen needs help with electronics to get things going. That may be something you need to look into to help.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
DJORDJE

I agree with the guy above i think you need to contact dealer or Cummins shop for something like that.good luck

Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have enough drive pressure to push that turbo on the low end. . .13 or 12mm houseing would take care of that problem.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I guess the question was more of, with what I have how can I make it get off the line better, maybe get the turbo going a little bit before I actually start?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
triton
Record Breaker

electronics. You need the air before the fuel and you need something telling the system to do that. Otherwise, you have to live with how it reacts. Part of the set back of wanting more power..... finding that sweet spot.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Ben D.
Champion

drew/triton. is the size of teh exhaust housing sorta kinda like the size of the exhaust size and how it affects engine power. for example most guys say don't go over four inch exhaust unless your pusing serious power because you'll lose the bottom end. is that the same as how big the turbo housing is. bigger housing flows bette but since the engine isn't pushing a lot of power it results in a slight loss at lower rpms???

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. . .the size of the actual exhaust plumbing does have an effect on the way the turbo runs, go too small and the turbo will never winde up properly, too large and you start having a similar issue due to the lack of flow due to size. kinda like sucking a coke through a straw, hard to do with a coffee stirrer, but then if you use a 1/2ID hose to do the same thing you'll run out of lung capacity trying to get to the coke, and it will be harder to pull up the tube just due to hydraulic forces.

now the houseing will increase back pressures in the manifold. too small or too large and you get the same effect. but the houseing size makes the turbo act much different than the exhaust size.

now that Ive read what you have on your truck, I'm gunna agree with triton. . .you need somemore electronic wizardry on your truck. that edge box will help, but you need a bit more fuel at lower RPMs to get that turbo to lite at the lower RPMs.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM
triton
Record Breaker

another way to look at it. The exhaust gases ( drive pressure ) are what spool the turbo. You need to get air going through the air intake to feed the engine but, with a larger housing like the 14mm, it takes a lot more air to get the bigger 71mm exhaust turbine turning. The 14mm housing takes a lot of air to fill it. With a smaller exhaust housing, you don't need as much air ( volume ) to get the turbine moving.

With electronics, you'll be able to change the parameters to where you get the air going before the ECM says to add fuel. This will help it spool without becoming a smoking bomb.

I'm still learning and trying to get the " big picture " with turbo's myself. It's all a fine tuning game and understanding it all can be a pain. I would all II to see what they say about the problem you're having. It may be something other than your turbo.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

What do you guy's thik of that ball bearing type of turbo that Black Cloud is running?

Quick Reply: Got my new turbo in, got some questions