Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

a few pics from the " hall of shame " >>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a few pics from the " hall of shame " >>>

sorry dudes... had to go to work for a while. Ok, I'll try and answer some questions. yep, Drew's right. I was dragging, had around 400hp with the smarty and TST hooked up. The problem was the stock turbo. It couldn't move the heat quick enough and I pushed it to the limit. Isn't that what you do at the track ! I thought I may blow the turbo but, it ended up being a little more than that.

I believe between the pressure and timing, #4 injector stuck open which is what fried it so bad. That and the EGT's. The other cylinders had light scaring but, weren't really damaged. Not that I did this but, I know a lot of people go blindly when they install these performance boxes. I think that's all go until you can't control your EGT's They WILL be the end of your engine.

As Drew said, know with the rebuild, I dynoed at Scheids event this last weekend and put down 591hp 1173tq. I never had a chance to do any tuning so, it will be well over 600hp when I get it done. I have to find the correct electronic set up to work things the way they need to. I may need to change turbo's but, likely not.

I've already broken the head down again to remove the injectors. I don't think they were working very good so they got sent off the F1 for some Flux II. They're doing a rush job to get them back to me so I can be ready to go to Commerce.

FYI..., this is what's in the engine now.........

ported/polished, shaved coated pistons, HD rods, F1 springs/Helix II/Flux II, PPE duals, A1 14mm head/mains, Fluidamper, fire ringed, GSL392 w/SS big lines/MK-II, modded rail, AFE II, ATS exhaust/intake, HTT 64/14, Spearco, full billet Suncoast/ATS, Smarty, MP-8, FS2500, 6" GR stacks, 6" Superlift, DSS, GDP ladder bars, Thuren linkage, Mag-Hytec, N-Fab, Fab Fours, Isspro/Dipricol, Line-X

Yeah, it's a lot of stuff but, a lot is for stoutness and longevity. I'd rather not have to do another rebuilt.... at least for another 6 months :-) With all that done, there's still a good change to do it all over again.
It's built a little better now though so it won't be as easy to do. Hell, it's all a part of the fun, not necessarily the carnage but the tuning, playing with different parts and electronics to see what more you can get. The trick is getting everything working together in unison to where the timing, pressure, durations and EGT's are in check.

Believe me, I'm not rich and this was a good blow to the bank but like many, I always wanted to build a engine to my specs. Fortunately, I happen to be in a position to do it, so I did. That's why what happen at the track wasn't to big a deal. It just made me do it sooner than later.

Killer Cummins... I like that last post. You don't go to the track to half *** a run, you go to go ball out !

Old 08-30-2007, 04:14 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Holy crap, that is sick!You seriously must be in the position with such an awesome project. Did you end up rebuilding or buying a new/rebuilt 5.9? Your living my dream bro, I'm gonna get there someday.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
triton
Record Breaker

it's rebuilt. You can't buy a new engine ( 06 - 07 ) but through Dodge and as you know they charge an arm and a leg for everything. My engine wasn't in bad enough shape to worry about that though. It's bored 20 over and I had 00.30" taken off the pistons to gain more compression. It's now at 15:1. I believe stock it's 18:1... I'm not sure.

It took 20 yrs slaving in my trade to get to the point I could do something like this... I've had my share of hot rods and beater over the years. Ya only live once... it's not all about working IMO.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

it's not all about working- words to live by. Keep on keepin on Triton!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: triton

Ya only live once... it's not all about working IMO.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Haha, good one. Who couldn't use a little extra money to spend on those necessities?

Quick Reply: a few pics from the " hall of shame " >>>