Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think Genos has the seat belt module. You're going to have to hit car-part.com or ebay and find a junkyard parting out a Ram and hope that the module is good.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM
WWDiesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed every on-line retailers including Mopar dealers asking about the seat belt module (56043003AD) and everyone of them that answered stated the same thing: The part is on national back order and they do not know when it will be available!
I took the module apart and removed the ball; did not solve the problem, belts still would not pull out!
So, I connected/soldered a jumper wire between pin 4 (dark blue wire) and pins 7 & 8 (orange/black & orange/red wires) inside the module so the seat belts are powered anytime the ignition switch is either on or in the accessory position. This now allows the belts to pull out with the switch on but if you pull one quickly, it will lock up due to the built in inertia function so hopefully the belts would work in an accident situation as long as the seats are not reclined.
Not a whole lot of other options with the module not being available.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM
horatio102
Champion

So you've gotta unbuckle before turning the key off, or hope there's enough slack?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Johnssram
Default My solution to seat belt retractor module battery drain.

Our 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup would lose enough battery voltage over three days to make it impossible to start the engine. The problem was traced to the SCTM and I confirmed the part is back ordered nationally.

I tried jumping the blue wire (12 volt supply only when ignition or accessory positions are selected) to the two solenoid leads, as suggested elsewhere, but that didn't solve the battery drain problem, as the pink wire (continuous 12 volt supply) was still hooked up, providing an uninterrupted power supply to the solenoids, and that was the whole problem.

What I did do is cut the pink wire right near the wire harness connector, thus interrupting the continuous power supply to the module, but I also soldered a short wire between pin 3 (pink wire) and pin 4 (blue wire)--this was done on the back of the module's circuit board. Now, there is power coming into the module only when the key is turned to the ignition or the accessory positions. The seat belts won't release or retract unless the key is in the ignition or accessory position, but that seems a small price to pay. The pre-tensioning function of the module remains intact, as there is power to the module when you are driving.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 AM
horatio102
Champion

The downside of what you've done is that if battery voltage is interrupted during or after a crash, your seatbelts are going to tighten and you won't be able to get any slack. I hope you've got a blade handy.

Have you verified that the seatbelt timer wasn't timing out? It takes what, 30 minutes I think, for the module to cut voltage, and as soon as you unlock/open your doors it lights up again. I'm not sure it will time out with the door open.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Johnssram

I hadn't thought about your scenario but I you are certainly correct. As far as checking the timer, all I know is that with the unmodified module in place there is a drain on the battery, and with it unplugged, there is no drain.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Johnssram
Default Actually...

In re-thinking the concept of the possibility of there being no power to the seat belt module in case of an accident, even though the seat belt would be tight, it should still be possible to just unbuckle the belt to release it.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Colton Borlace
Default Seatbelt locks

my 1999 dodge 1500s seatbelt locks after driving for about 60 miles and will not disengage until truck is turned off for about 10 minuets anyone have an idea

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Control module under the front center seat?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM
jwwcincy

BEWARE OLDER TRUCK OWNERS!!!! THIS LITTLE CIRCUIT ALMOST BURNED DOWN MY TRUCK !!!!!!

I had just parked and was doing a couple of things next to my '98 1500. The windows were down and I happened to be looking through the cab and saw smoke. I opened the doors and started searching and under the driver's seat found a connector (turns out to be connector 360) ON FIRE!! Didn't have an extinguisher handy so grabbed the bundle closest to me and pulled. Thankfully the connector separated and stopped the short.

The question i have for you guys is, do you think this was just a dirty connector, or maybe I damaged it shoving stuff under the seat on some previous day (not that day)? Or do you think the SCM was faulting in some way that caused an overcorrect during the 30 second window? Is there any way you can think of to check figure this out, especially since it sounds like from this thread that I won't be able to find a SCM at the auto parts store.

The following users liked this post:
031602truax (08-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500