Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transfer Case Problems

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
04 SXT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Problems

Alright guys my girlfriend has a 99 ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel. We have been having problems with it ever since she got it. The truck has a 4 inch skyjacker suspension lift on it and everytime the front drive shaft is in the truck it vibrates really bad at about 70 mph. After driving the truck to school at the start of this year the transfer case was leaking fluid really bad. So the mechanic she worked for came down tore the transfer case apart and said the actuator was bad, and removed the front drive shaft and resealed the case told us to drive it til he could fix it right. Well this weekend we went back up there and needed to tow a trailor and needed 4 wheel drive so he put it back in after rebuilding it and rebalancing it. Well it still was vibrating like hell at 70 mph and it leaked fluid all over the bottom side of the truck. When the truck is in 4 wheel drive the 4 wheel drive works but when you put it in 2 wheel drive it is in 2 wheel drive so I am confussed on what to do and how to fix this so she can drive it home again over 5 hours away. I have good mechanical ability I have never done any work on trucks I mainly deal with classic cars so 4 wheel drive systems is not my thing so I am looking for some info...

Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transfer Case Problems

just so I have this right. . .it only vibrates when the front drive shaft is in???

sounds likea u-jointis binding up.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I say spend a couple of bucks and replace the u joints, then see what happens.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Dallas192
Professional

since the truck has a lift kit in it, is the transfer case lower to compensate for the driveshaft angle?.....Dallas

Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
SilverSmoker
Rookie

With a 4" lift the driveshaft angle shouldnt be that big of an issue. If the angle is to steep you are gonna have to clock the t-case, they have adapters to do so. I would check the u-joints would be the easiest and cheapest fix!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
04 SXT
Professional

ALright the transfer case is in the stock position, and it only vibrates and leaks with the driveshaft in.. As far as I am told the U- Joints are brand new. He keeps saying that the actuator is bad from the 4 wheel drive system.. So I am not sure also should the front drive shaft turn in 2 wheel drive?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the front shaft will turn since we have a live front axel.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM
swilsone

Did you ever figure out what the problem was with the vibration?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
04 SXT
Professional

No not yet haven't had a chance to look at it yet we are away at college right now and its been raining and all I have is a parking lot to work in. But I am hopping to figure it out next weekend when we go back to my house it won't be much better there though cause it still won't fit in the garage cause of the stacks, but i will have a lot more tools. I really need to figure it out before she drives 5 hours back to jersey for thanksgiving... What does this actuator do that her boss says is bad?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 AM
swilsone

Where did the transfer case start leaking? There are 3 cases to my transfer case: front, mid and rear. Mine has the same problem with the vibration...haven't been able to pin-point the real issue yet. I've had the front driveshaft rebuilt and balanced 3 times by two different shops and the truck still vibrates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case Problems