Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Half tailgate closed - yeah, it’s weird

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 06:50 AM
Dfharing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half tailgate closed - yeah, it’s weird

Ram 1500 eco-diesel 2022 limited 4x4 with split tailgate
The other day, my kids and I were sitting on the tailgate chatting. Apparently my daughter fiddled with the tailgate latch on the short side (right side, if looking at it from behind) of the split tailgate, and she latched it shut while the tailgate was down. I didn’t notice this until I put the tailgate up and the left side locked closed and the right side didn’t - because the latch was already closed. Now, I can’t get the tailgate to drop nor can I get the right side latch to reopen. Is there a way to manually open the right side latch/locking mechanism?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Is there an access panel on the inside of the tailgate?

Old 04-01-2024, 10:18 AM
Dfharing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is there an access panel on the inside of the tailgate?
Here are some pics of the inside of the tailgate. It's not quite like the non-split style tailgates, but I don't know what the inside guys look like.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep. Pull the plastic pins on the OPPOSITE side of the jammed up latch. The cover should come off, and there may or may not be another panel under there you will have to remove. Once you have access to the latch, you should be able to release it manually.

It's also possible that you could remove the two torx-bit screws holding the latched latch in place, and that will relieve the stress on the tailgate, and you might be able to pull the handle, to get it to release. (Think I would try that method first....)

Quick Reply: Half tailgate closed - yeah, it’s weird