Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Long crank time P0111.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long crank time P0111.

Every now and again, I'll get an extended crank time. This morning was the first time P0111 set. Intake temp. rationality. There's a software update via bulletin available, but only valid on trucks produced through Jan 31 06. I have a 05/06 build. Question is this, should I update the engine software via Chrysler, or could Smarty software potentially fix this problem... when the day comes? As random as the symptoms are I doubt there is a real IAT sensor issue. Thoughts?

Thanks y'all.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional
Default RE: Long crank time P0111.

Today it set a check engine light... ran fine though.... maybe it is a sensor? I hate to have the engine computer software updated if I'm going to get a slu of special features like less mileage and clutch safety miniumum launch RPM... anyone have their truck software updated and not been pleased with the results? I've read the bulleins and feel apprehensive to have the ECM updated... but if that is the only fix.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
jakebrake
Champion

The older 24v were having issues of the IAT sensor getting dirty and causing poor mileage (1-2mpg less then normal) and high than normal egts (50-80F higher)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

I'll pull it out and inspect it... Its on its second air filter, truck has almost 15k on it exactly. Mileage is at 16.8 calculated.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I pull my IAT sensor about every 6 months and clean it. The exhaust brake makes it get dirty a lot sooner than later.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

Who woulda thunk? Thanks for the tip... I'll do it right now... can it get dirty enough in a year of operation to set a fault though... guess we'll see.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I've been debating to get the flash or not. I have not so far because I am afraid of what it might do. I went through hell with my '04 Ferd and flashes. I just deal with the occasional long crank. If you decide to get the flash let me know how it works out. BTW my truck has the same build date 5/ 06.

Where did you find the info on what is included in the updates?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

I read through bulletins posted here... http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html The updates included with the software sound harmless enough... I just dont want to regret something that can't be reversed. I have a friend through a friend that works for a local dodge dealer whomI'll get in touch with... pick his brain on the subject.

I have no problem with the occasional long crank time... but the fault that sets bothers me.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

Blast from the past! Got the PCM programmed per the bulletin. I haven't noticed any driveablilty differences, even with the enhancments the bulletin explains. Been about a week but only time will reallytell.

So Nick, as of thus far I'd say go ahead and get the software update... all seems ok.

Quick Reply: Long crank time P0111.