Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hard Starting 06

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Mr.Inferno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting 06

Does anyone have any idea's why my cummins starts hard occasionaly? Today it did it twice. And what I mean by hard starting is that if it sets for a little bit, say 5-10 minutes it seems, when I try to start it it will crank and crank to the point to where you want to stop cranking and try it again, but then all of a sudden it just takes off. NO Codes or anything other than the P0514 code, which is nothing apperently. No check engine lights or anything of that nature. Any ideas out there. less than 1000 miles on new injectors. Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
04QC4X4
Captain
Default RE: Hard Starting 06

Fuel Filter? Mine gets a little harder to start when its time for new fuel filter.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

I had that problem a wile back the dealer had me put fuel additive it the tank and it went away. now I add it every other tank

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

P0514 is for Battery Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance.

Just FYI.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I've had that problem since I got it... dealer has no clue I've never triped a code either...

It justs turns over and over I won't hold for but about ten seconds

if it doesn't start right away like normal I've found aquick tap to the go pedal usually gets it goin....

Only happens randomly sometime 2-3 times in a night or mabye weeks apart...never does it on a cold start though only when its been off for less than say an hour or before cooled off...

I just live around it, it runs fine once it starts and always starts just takes a few turns sometimes...

Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

BTW my uncle has the same truck and had this problem and finally found out his battery that goes to the starter was bad and it was trying to pull current from the other battery, he changed um both and never had a problem...

I checked mine and both are good though, wierd deal

Haven't had a hard start for a good month now though...since its cooled off outside

Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Mr. Inferno and Aero are both of your trucks 6 speeds? Cause mine is and it does it sometimes too. There was a couple threads about it on several forums I visit. IIRC there is a flash out to fix the problem. There were one or two before it that didn't work, then the last one they came out with supposedly worked. This flash only pertains to 6 speeds though. I have not had it done because mine tows great and gets better than average mileage and I don't want to chance any of that changing.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Thanks I'll Check DC For an update didn't think of that....
But I got an Auto...so who knows

Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

my 06 did the same thing when i bought it with 17000 miles on the clock. I couldn't stand it cuz people would look at me like i was driving an old clunker cuz it would crank and crank. I finally saw that there was a TSB on it so i took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer with new updates and it hasn't done it since! I've got almost 30000 miles on it now and it's never done it once. I suggest talking to your dealer and seeing if they can do the same thing. Worked great and didn't cost me a dime.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

ORIGINAL: ZmanTRX4

my 06 did the same thing when i bought it with 17000 miles on the clock. I couldn't stand it cuz people would look at me like i was driving an old clunker cuz it would crank and crank. I finally saw that there was a TSB on it so i took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer with new updates and it hasn't done it since! I've got almost 30000 miles on it now and it's never done it once. I suggest talking to your dealer and seeing if they can do the same thing. Worked great and didn't cost me a dime.
YES! I did the same thing... I was apprehensive at first but then I made a buddy at a Chrysler store and heflashed the ECM via warranty and it has not had exessive crank time since.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting 06