Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which synthetic oil is best?

Old 12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Malu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which synthetic oil is best?

I'm coming up on the big 20K miles and am thinking about switching to synthetic oil. From what i've been reading here it seems like the way to go. I'm wondering which oil do you use and why? Also which filter is best? Do I need a special filter or will any one do the job? Do I need to flush the motor to clean it out before adding the synthetic and which product is best for flushing it out? By the way I checked out the prices for synthetics here at carquest and it's about $8 a quart but from what Ive read it still seems worth it if I can go 10,000 miles between changes. Damn, living in Hawaii is expensive!

Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: Which synthetic oil is best?

On the synthetic topic, there are only two ways to go. Amsoil or Mobil1.
Personally I use Amsoil, It's cheaper and seems to be a touch above Mobil1 in most performance tests.

For the filter, I hate to say it but, AC Delco filters are better than most.
OEM filters are engineered to meet their specific applications, so most OEM filters provide sufficient filtering for both synthetic and dyno oils. There is no need to change filter brands based on oil types.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:41 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

I run Mobil 1, gotta love it when you can do a full synthetic oil change (oil and filter) for less than $25 (6 quarts and a Fram filter).

Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going to do the same for my ram and yoda soon. it's easy for the yoda since it only takes 4.5 quarts, but the ram is a different story, 3 gallons in that pan [>:] than the filter is another. . .yeesh, but atleast I'm getting better fuel mileage than the PDS and the Duamax guys

Old 12-09-2004, 08:57 PM
cajun_24

I will never use a Fram filter again. I had one on my 98 Dodge deisel. The filter's relief valve busted. Which plugged up the oil jet under the number 6 piston. It ate the number 6 cylinder to hell. Dealer gave me the choice of them changing engine or me changing it. Then get a lawyer to get Fram to pay for it. I told them to go ahead and change it out. They put the filter in a bag and sent it to fram. Fram sent them a check for 6600 bucks for the new engine. Was told that because the cummins and some high proformance engines pump so much oil. The releif valve falls apart.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll continue to use the fram filters for my yoda, mainly like the easy grip of their filters.

but for my ram when I change the oil I'm gunna get some fleetguard filters. those seem to be the top choice in filters. Besides, I think the Cummins dealer here in town(I feel sooo lucky) sells the fleetguards off the shelf there.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:54 PM
cajun_24

Yes Fleetguard makes the cummins filter. That is what Cummins told me to use.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:26 AM
mill500
Veteran

I switched to Mobil1 and picked up about 1.5 mpg. I've used it in my last Jeep, 135k+ miles on it with no problems, so I think I'll stick with it on this one.

Incidently, griping about living in Hawaii being expensive is like complaining about the Hemi's gas mileage. You knew what you were in for when you did it....and besides, it's winter here in Chicago, so not much sympathy here...

Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I flip back and forth between Amsoil and Mobil 1, both are far, far better than dino oils.

As for oil filters, there are several web sites that have test results listed. Just go to "Google" and type in something like "oil filter tests"......

Fram didn't do too well at the sites I visited. The better ones were Wix, NAPA Gold, and Mobil 1.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Dr.Meow
Rookie

Mobil 1 is the only way to go. Had a 98 Dakota V6 with over 210,000 on the clock and not a drop on floor or out the tail pipe and alway's used Mobil 1.

2004 1500 QC
Hemi
33" Parnelli Jones Dirt Gripz
Torsen Bars Cranked.
K & N Cold Air Intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which synthetic oil is best?