Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

I don't know about you guy's, but I'm a little nervous.

Every month when my statements come in I'm taking a beating. Two months ago I spoke with a friend of mine who knows a HELUVA lot more than I do about this stuff and I asked him if I shouldn't switch my stuff over to either a low risk, or no risk type of fund. He suggested against it saying that you have to "ride it out". Well ... week after week I'm hearing more and more gloom and doom. Ifeel that if I keep "riding it out" soon there won't be anything left to "ride".

What are your thoughts on this?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

I dont beleive that it is going to get any better until after the elections. Even then who knows what will happen. Our dollar value drops every day, and China is taking advantage of it. I say liquidate and turn it into something hard orStuff it uder a mattress so the big boys on the market cant steal it. When a stock bottoms out somebody gets your money on the other end[:@]. Sell it and buy property.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
TRUSSMAN07
Rookie

Man I feel the same way. I have also been told by several advisors to ride it out and at the end you will be ahead of the game. Sure does make me nervous though.

stephen

Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I use trust funds so I don't have to worry about "riding it out". My "advisor" claims the Avg. person breaks even usually for the first 5 years in stocks and Avg yield after bein in over 5 years was like 7%, not sure where he gets his stats from but I'm happy with my CDs

He's been in for 13years and all he does is invest and work on computers so he constantly monitors live stocks gain/loss he yields about 300% 1/5 years but gettin better lol I just stuck to the safe route....

Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
behindbars

I'm in it for 18 more years so it will all average out I hope. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm just letting it ride. It sure was nice making that big interest the past couple years. If I had as much money as Mayfair on the line I may be a little more nervous.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
mastercaster

a few years in the market is nothing. buy good quality companies for the long haul. reinvest all dividends. strategy depends on age and how much you have invested,andwhere to diversify. it always comes back to "buy long term". i am buying right now. these are some great deals on many companies. sure they may go a bit lower, may not. i am only 35 years old, so i canwait it out for quite a while.i would put very little in cd's, money market's etc.those barely keep up with inflation, and have penalties for early withdrawl or minimum balances. you can use something like an ING orange account for emergency funds, and get between 3.1% and 4.8% (for a checking account). no penalty for withdrawl. anyway, i am in the "ride it out" camp. the market is cyclical, and nothing beats it for long term investing!!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Mayfair
Legend

It's not that I have a ton of cash, but it IS my nest egg. My retirement fund, and I can't help but feel like I'm standing in front of a craps table right now.

What would I do if I WAS standing in front of a craps table and my money DID rely on that next roll of the dice?

I'dpick up my chips and leave the tableif my luck was running asbad as the market is doing right now.

That's kinda how I'm feeling these days.

I try to live below my means and send as much money away as I can in the hopes of retiring as early as possible and hopefully be able to live the life as Steve does. That is my primary goal. With the way the market is going right now, I may never get to see Steve on that hilltop.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM
apappal
Amateur

The market will correct itself and it was long over due, stay in and buy, its like Christmas time and Blue light specials abound. Now is the time to make money.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

agreed... now is a buy year IMO... the markets will take a beating because of the elections. History has proven itself time & time again. what you should do (myself included) is re-allocate your investments 1x every 6~7 years.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
behindbars

I feel your strife Mayfair. Thank God I'll have a decent pension from Uncle Sam. That is as long as we get the hell out of this war and don't get another "pro-privitazation", "pro-outsourcing" President. Or anotherone that wants to give all our jobs to illegal immigrants or temporary workers.

If the market and my investments were my sole source of retirement I'd certainly be scared to death. Where we are right now I can still stand to lose agood bitof money in them, and not even be close to losing my own contributions. The gains were so good the past few years that I'll be losing only myinterest for some time.I'm not happy about it but I guess that's the brighter side of it. I wouldn't be losing any money at allif I had it allburied in coffee cans in the back yard. I certainly wouldn't make any either.

Remeber back in the day when you could buy a brand new Harley and turn around and sell it a year or two later for a bunch more than what you paid for it? Now they're like anything else and depreciate just as much as anyhting else. Is there the perfect investment? I doubt it or elsewe would all be in it. It's just the gamble we take.
[sm=rant.gif] sorry

Quick Reply: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??