Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Loss/Smoke Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Loss/Smoke Problem

Mike, I got your e-mail and I'll answer it here. I would do what the others have advised here. . .get the pressure on the lift pump tested. you should have better than 12psi at idle. around 8psi while running down the road and no less than 2-4psi hammered down.

I would be more concerned with the hammer down pressure. if at any time it drops to zero I would just goahead and stop driving as quickly as possable.

your best bet as far as ease of instalation would be a walbro pump setup from Glacier Diesel performance. the Fass pump is also very good in that the filters actualy filter to a lower micron size than the stock filter.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Drew. All of my power loss problems were fixed with properly changing the fuel filter, then fixing my mistake of not priming it before trying to start it. I said in a previous post that its like a whole new truck.

Im still going to check the fuel pressure just to make sure it wasnt a combination of bad fuel filter plus weak lift pump. What fuel pressure gauge would you recommend for testing at anything other than idle, i.e. me standing on top of the truck reading a gauge...i have very limited budget here and the gauge would probably have to be able to be understood by cavemen and some of your more domesticated house pets.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry bout the double post, lol, but around here in the part of WV I'm from, when i go buy MMO and PSD at the same time, they ask me if im makin a batch of "drew's brew".....lol you're gettin famous!!

Quick Reply: Power Loss/Smoke Problem