Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Antifreeze leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Rammin_it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leaking

So yesterday there was smoke coming from my underneath my hood, got my truck home and saw antifreeze leaking on the exhaust manifold but i couldnt see a hose leaking or anything. This morning i walk out and look at it and it looks like the antifreeze is leaking from the bottom of the transmission, has anyone ever seen this kind of problem. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Antifreeze leaking

It sounds like you have the dreaded 53" block, Man I hope not. The 53 is bad about cracking and leaking anti-freeze. It is repairable but costly. I hope this is not your problem. Good Luck and keep us posted,these guys can help you.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rammin_it

So yesterday there was smoke coming from my underneath my hood, got my truck home and saw antifreeze leaking on the exhaust manifold but i couldnt see a hose leaking or anything. This morning i walk out and look at it and it looks like the antifreeze is leaking from the bottom of the transmission, has anyone ever seen this kind of problem. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a cracked block to me. I have heard a few guys here lately talking about the 53 blocks? I am guessing it is a block cummins made one model year that has cracking problems?
I'm sure someone will chime in with more info. But it sounds like some of the other post I have seen with cracked blocks.
Go out and look for a crack on the exhaust side of the block or water jacket. Look close cuz it will be hard to see.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM
roadking096
Professional

I think there is a water to trannyfluid heat exchanger down by the passenger side of the block. Lots of connections there to leak. I would'nt think a cracked block would weep tons of antifreeze.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The 53 block cracks below the exhaust manifold. If it is leaking onto the exhaust manifold and burning off, it isn't the typical 53 crack.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Here's a real good site on the 53 block. Check it out and see if your leak looks like any of the photos.

http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Rammin_it

Thanks that website is helpful. Still scary i would hate to see the block cracked, since i have babied the crap out of this truck. I will have to look in the morning and see if i cant see better, and look and see if mine is the 53" block. Someone at work told me he had a similar problem and his leak actually was coming from a transmission cooling return line and his was sparying onto his exhaust manifold and running down his tranny, so we will have to see and pray that the block isnt cracked.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I don't think you have a cracked block. A cracked block isn't going to leak enough coolant to run down to the tranny. Most of it will burn off before hitting the ground, unless you let the crack go for a long time and the opening is huge.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Rammin_it

Took my truck to the dealer on monday so they could work it into the shop, got a phone call this morning and they said it was a freeze plug and that was why it was leaking onto the exhaust manifold. So that was a blessing, and i asked them if they would look and see if the block is cracked and the tech actually called me and was talking to me about everything and he said that he didnt not see the block cracked. I am happy that it was just a freeze plug.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you looked to see what the casting number of you block is???

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leaking