Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

MBRP 4 inch cat back or 5 inch turbo back?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
JayH2112
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP 4 inch cat back or 5 inch turbo back?

Alright, so I can't resist the urge to make my truck sound like a semi. I have always loved loud diesels, and it seems stupid to have one and not have it sound how I want.

Anyway....so I am thinking the aluminized steel as there is really no reason for me to get the stainless. I am reading that 4 inch is the way to go as 5 is just a waste. Although it looks like MBRP doesn't make a turbo back 4 inch, is there any difference in sound or power with a catback exhaust, and any difference between the 4 and 5 inch?

For the guys who have MBRP how do you like it? One thing I don't want is to lose mileage...ecspecially on the highway as I can get up to 21 out of mine currently.

From the soundclips I've listened to I think it'll be perfect. The guy down the street quoted me $1100 for a 5 inch setup installed. I think I can get the 5 inch for around $700 shipped, and get it installed by a shop, or the 4 inch catback for around $450 and installed by a shop. I would think a shop wouldn't charge much more than $100?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
4x4fantasy
Professional
Default RE: MBRP 4 inch cat back or 5 inch turbo back?

The issue with aluminum is that it rusts out WAY too easily. You can get 409 stainless and lose that problem. 304 is your best bet but involves spending major $$$$ !!! If you want it to sound like a semi, go stacks! Deeper drone, looks cool, and gives added power over any rear exiting systems.

Silverline makes 4" turbo back systems, give them a look.

Silverline Exhaust

Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Why have a shop do it? I just installed a silverline 4" stainless turbo back system in my truck today, took a little less then an hour to do.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
cumminalong

Here's a question for ya....

Can you turn a ratchet?

Do you have access to a sawzall?

Do it yourself in 2 hrs.

Most of them are bolt on.

If you ordera cat back for a Mega Cab, it'll come with enough excess pipe that you just cut off the cat and mount it directly to the down pipe.

Really, the stock 4" system is pretty good, minus the muffler and cat.

All you need is the direct fit muffler replacement and a section of 4"pipe and you're golden. Hack off the muffler, replace it with the direct fit and then hack the cat and put in the replacement section.

You don't have to spend a G to get the sound or performance you want.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Az2500Cummins08

Yeah really dude. What Cumminalong just said. Don't pay some shop to do it for you. It is simple to do. I did mine in my driveway, took me about 90 minutes. This was in January, it was about 40 degrees, freezing rain, and I was sick.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
cumminalong

I did mine while my in-laws were here.

I figured, heck, I'm already aggravated why not go put the exhaust on the truck.....

Only to be surprised that it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Don't even think about removing it in one piece, you'll never get it out.

Just hack it right in front of the muffler and remove the rear section. Then you can work on the cat with the excess weight removed.

Seriously, it's pretty simple.

If you wanna have it welded, then yeah, you may need a shop if you don't weld, but most of them come with clamps and mount to the stock hangers.

Give Mike a holler, I'm sure he can take care of ya.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

Thanks guys, I could install it no problem....I'm just to lazy. Or you could write it off to how busy I am, weekends are when I work on my side projects to make extra $. I just prefer to have my vehicles worked on by the guys who get it done quick and right, one less headache for me. I saved so much by buying my Edge from a wholesaler that I am getting it installed professionalybut still for $100 less than the outfitter wanted for just the unit itself. Peace of mind I guess.

As for stacks, not a big fan of them when it comes to looks. A little too "look at me". They do have a nice sound though.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
cujo
Captain

That's what I did. Drop the restrictive boat anchor they use as a stock muffler and replace it with a flow-through. I kept my cat (at least for now). Nice deep sound, not too loud, louder than stock outside the cab. Cost me less then $200 and a couple of hours of my time.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
cumminalong

Here is one thing though.....

If you remove the cat, you do lose a bit of your low end torque, but you make up for it in EGT's on the high end.

If you want the tone to stay mellow, just deeper, keep the cat. It kind of acts as a resonator.

THe way I have mine is I actually have 2 flow through mufflers. I have an Aero 4040XL (resonated) where the cat used to be and then a 36" Diamond Eye flow though where the stock muffler was.

This helps you keep the low end torque and still drop the EGT's and gain high end power.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM
tiresmoketravis
Rookie

MBRP dose make a 4" turbo back exhaust it is a4" in 5" out
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...amp;ProdID=407
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...amp;ProdID=411

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MBRP 4 inch cat back or 5 inch turbo back?