Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Death Wobble

Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM
buckskin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
carli's are on their website...

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...alljoints.html

if you get pricing can you post it back here?...
They are 550.00 for the lowers and 550.00 more for the uppers.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
12valvefatass

Stabilizer shock. It is an easy fix. Done. Next Problem Please

Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 12valvefatass
Stabilizer shock. It is an easy fix. Done. Next Problem Please
so your saying that the shock "fixed" your death wobble? So if everyone took their shock off they would have death wobble? ok makes lots of sense. you still have death wobble just to let you know, you didnt fix anything. When the shock wears out prematurly you will get it back again

Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 PM
12valvefatass

Oh no...You mean I may have to replace a part on my truck every 10 years. That's just terrible, ... What will I do! Do you reccomend that I go buy a Piece OF S___ Toyota for 40 K instead?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

with your attitude you sound more like a toyota owner.

I am guessing you are probably 18 and know it all.

have you designed any steering systems on your own? do you know what true death wobble is? it is not fixed by a little shock. the shocks purpose is not to prevent death wobble.
you and many others are mislead by shady mechanics shops that replace the shock because they dont know any better or even what they are doing.

The true form of death wobble is caused by bad steering geometry. Similar symptoms and some times more violent than true death wobble can be caused by severely out of round tires

Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
12valvefatass

Okay, I'm a "know it all 18 year old". Since I drove my truck for ten years before replacing the steering stabilizer means that I have been driving it since I was 7. I must be pretty exceptional to pull that one off.

Your too smart for me! I can't figure out why my mechanic replacing my steering stabilizer causes you so much grief.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

You must not have had the DW then... true DW will just about make you come to a stop before it stops and steering stabilizers wont fix it. plenty of dodge 4x4's run around w/o them w/o the DW. It comes down to your steering setup & alignment.

and you do come off as being in a pissy mood...

Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 AM
12valvefatass

You are right about what you describe. The DW is about the most violent thing that has ever happened to me in the 35 years I've been driving. I was only about 1/4 mile from home when it happened to me. I debated where or not I should drive the rest of the way home or have it towed. It nearly scared the pee out of me! I gave the truck to my local shop with an open invitation to R&R anything that he found out of whack in the front suspension. The steering stabilizer was all he could find wrong and I have not experienced the DW in the 6 months since it happened.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

in this antique picture of my front end, you'll notice that the steering brace is tied to the axle & to the tie rod, if the whole axle is shifting back & forth, the stabilizer is not going to do anything to stop it. I would suspect that your truck hasnt seen the condition that started the DW since it's visit to the shop.

the tracbar has often been blamed for DW but I dont buy that one either. My last ram (2000 1/2 4x4) was the only truck I had the DW on, researched it and concluded the caster was a major contributor to a fix. Got the alignment done on that truck so the caster was at 5.0 or greater and never had the DW again. The truck went thru control arm bushings, tie rod ends, 2 tracbars and still had the original stabilizer on it... all after the alignment, never had DW. And I beat my truck in the mtns often. I did end up with a thurenfab tracbar as I was not willing to swap in another one and have it go bad within the 20k that the last one did.

with that said... my current truck... has the Thurenfab front end, steering stabilizer, tracbar & heavy duty steering kit. The front end drives like it has a hook in the road. I have never driven a truck that is as connected as this one (steering wise) and love it.

I can take a pic of the current setup but it basically looks like the pic at the bottom.

Name:  ATB_install016Medium.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  81.1 KB

Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Steve I agree with you to a point. the trac bar might not be the reason for death wobble but it will allow the steering system to get to a point where the geometry is bad and cause death wobble.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death Wobble