Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM
klfeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble

OK, I know this has been addressed before and I have read the previous posts. I just want to make sure that I am following the right path.

Truck: 2003 1 ton 4x4, stock suspension, 100K miles

History: No history of death wobble prior to having dealer replace broken U joint. Dealer pulled front passenger axle and confirmed it was ok when he replaced U joint. On the way home from the dealer I rean over a series of bumps and death wobbled ensued. The truck shook so hard that anything that wasn't tied down fell down. I had to pull off the road and almost come to a complete stop to get the shake to stop. I have never experienced such a violent shake while driving. It was like I was driving over 50 speed bumps in a row at 70 mph. BAD. Next day I experienced 2 seperate death wobbles. Lots of fun in rush hour traffic!!!! Took the truck back to the dealer who reinspected all parts and said their work was good. Of course. I said why had I never had this problem before, they said maybe the broken U joint allowed enough play to cancel out the bad Steering damper. They wanted $350 to replace the steering damper.

Where I am now: Looking for a steering damper to eliminate that as the problem. Autozone does not sell them. Need to check elsewhere.

Am I on the right path?

I find it very odd that this truck never did this before they replaced the broken U joint.

Last edited by klfeck; 10-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I would check your track bar bushings and control arm bushings. At 100,000 miles they are probably worn and in need of replacement. Same goes with the steering stabiler and shocks.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Otis30
Rookie

Diesel Power Magazine did an article a couple months ago specifically addressing DW in Dodges. Though they did have a fix, I can't remember what it was. I'd recommend going to their website's tech section... the article should still be there.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 AM
palmtree

I took my 05 in cause the steering was starting to wander. Turns out one u-joint was rusted out and one sealed wheel bearing is shot, the uppers and lowers are worn and rthe second steering stsabilizer is already crapped out I'm just going to redo both bearings -at nearly $600 a piece and both u-joints, well i guess their going to rebuild the entire front end. Built RAM togh, what a joke. these trucks are crap-only highway driven and 85,000 miles on it. It's still neww looking. Oh and new Michelins 2 days ago from Costco $1750.
Total repair including tires probably over $5000.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
chouseal
Veteran

Just FYI, from my experience the shocks and steering stabilizers typically sold at AutoZone are crap. I'm convinced that everything they sell is designed to fail and thus need replacement again... and soon. That's why I'll visit just about any other parts store first and head there only as a last resort. I would strongly recommend you spend a few more bucks somewhere else for Bilstein, Rancho or at least Pro Comp. I'm not connected to them in any way, but I've been pleased with ShockWarehouse.com.

I've had the DW and I know what you mean... not fun, and quite scary in fact. I ended up replacing all suspension bushings, all steering linkages (tie rods, etc), track bar and the steering damper. Plus I added a steering box brace. The DW hasn't returned, and hopefully won't anytime soon...

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
klfeck
Default I think I figured it out

I bought a replacement steering stabilizer at advance auto parts for $31. The dealer wanted $180 for the part. I went to replace it and noticed that the bar that the stabilizer shock attaches to rotates easily in my hand. The bushing on the drivers side is shot. More parts to buy I guess. I'm sure they don't sell the bushings by themselves.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
klfeck
Default Death Wobble

Ok, so I went to change the steering stabilizer annd I noticed that the bar that it connect to (tierod?) that goes over to the drivers side wheel is loose. The bushing seems shot and I can shake it by hand. Do I need to replace the whole tierod, or just the tierod end?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 PM
3500POWERWAGON

I have the fix for death wobble!,,, i too have been down the road with this same problem. I have a 2007 3500 4x4 dodge ram, after i put a lift on it ,,,, i had the famous death wobble, first i looked at was tires, the tires must be 10 ply.... e load range, with good tread. second is make sure your steering box is tight. third is replace the steering linkage ( tie rods, steering bar ) new larger size from dodge, looks like it was taken from the 4500 series truck. good news for 2500 owners, after installing these parts i installed a new track bar from DSS, and also installed there DSS steering box stabizer that mounts between the frame rails on the sway bar mount. fourth i installed a after-market twin shock stabilizer , ( used bilstien 7100 shocks ) this was the 360/ 80 shock pressure,,, you can use the 280/78 pressure if you run 35" tires ,,,what a big difference from basic shocks to these WOW...oh it makes your steering easyer to steer with larger size tires, i know its alot to do but i now have the local dealership installing these as i have done all the work changing out parts looking for one that works,,, oh there is a new steering box out too. just ask about the updated steering linkages... they will have to do some digging to find these numbers,,, i will try to get these as i work close to dealership. ya i have had to buy all my parts,, no i'm not rich, i just wanted a truck safe for my wife to drive when im tired of driving. hope this can help any body,, steering linkage from wheel to wheel is about 300.00, DSS adjustable track bar 350.00, DSS steering stabilizer 250.00 bilstien 7100 shocks rebuildable 400.00 shipped , steering stabilizer mount 99.00, .... i have changed all parts myself in the driveway, center the axel using a plumb-bob off each fender, to center the axel, you will be suprized to see there off from dodge about 1/8"--3/4" from the factory,, qualtity control? just kidding i love my truck will post picks or drop me a line and i'll e-mail you with them.

Last edited by 3500POWERWAGON; 11-06-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

wow you just soaked a whole bunch of money to not even figure out where your DW was coming from.

I could elminate anyones DW if they wrote me a $2500 check. But I would rather fix it for them for 300-400 bucks

Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Originally Posted by GOD RAM IT
wow you just soaked a whole bunch of money to not even figure out where your DW was coming from.

I could elminate anyones DW if they wrote me a $2500 check. But I would rather fix it for them for 300-400 bucks

drum roll................. and the 300-400 bucks fix is?

Quick Reply: Death Wobble