Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Prolonged Storage for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM
emorgan077
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prolonged Storage for Winter

I drive a company vehicle during the week. The only time I touch my 6.7L is on the weekends. I'll put anywhere from 40 miles to 240 miles on it each weekend. Do you guys think I should do anything special while the truck sits for the week? Keep in mind I'm in upstate New York where temperatures can approach zero degrees.

I wasn't sure if I should add anything (or even can add anything with the 6.7L) to the fuel. Should I fill the tank, or leave only a little and add more each weekend?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
IC Smoke

Keep it topped off and treat it with some anti-jel fluid. before you start plug it in for a few just to bring the coolant temps up a little bit. Once you start it let it idle for a little bit (If you have it flashed for a high idle let it go into the high idle) 10 min or so then drive it. DONT just start it and hammer down thats not a very good way to treat the motor.

Ian

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
emorgan077

I always let her warm up a bit before I drive, even in the summer. I have noticed that the high idle only kicks in when it's cold. The only time I engage it manually is if I don't use the remote start.

I started off using treatments in the fuel, but read that I shouldn't with this motor. Not sure if anyone out there religiously uses additives for these engines.

Thanks for the help IC Smoke!

Quick Reply: Prolonged Storage for Winter