Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Allison transmission?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Big_B
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '04 Cummins
Question for you Scatpack........ I have quite a few freinds that have GM trucks with the allison tranny. I have yet to see one go out on a stock truck. On the contrary I had to rebuild my tranny at 120,000 mi. I know several other dodge owners that had to do the same at simialar miles.

IMO from what I have seen the allisons are better that a stock 48RE. Ask any transmission shop and I'm sure you will find they rebuild many more didge tranny's than allisons. Of course if your pulling or racing your truck and making lots of power, any factory transmission will fail, which is why you can buy beefed up allison trannys. As far as the new dodge tranny's, only time will tell. So far I have heard very little, good or bad

I would not consider putting an allison in a dodge truck either, as the price does not justify it. For between 3-4K you can rebuild a 48RE to hold what most people will do with their trucks.

Just my 2 cents.
I gotta be a douche bag here and say this. Wheres the question?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by Big_B
I gotta be a douche bag here and say this. Wheres the question?
Haha. Actually I was fixin to ask the same thing...

But, I think the question would have been something like why I think the 48re is better than the Allison. Or something along those lines. I didnt say its better stock-to-stock, but the 48re really isnt a bad transmission. Take care of it, and for the most part itll take care of you. The worst part in them is the factory torque converter. It actually balloons out when it spins, and slips, causing heat, which kills your trans. Or in my case, Im pretty sure the fins on the inside exploded. Theyre only tack welded in place and VERY easy to damage...

Take apart an Allion and a 48re. Yes, the internals of the Allison are significantly beefier. (No Ive never seen either of these apart in person...) The biggest issue with the Allison is how its controlled. If your going to add a bunch of power and go racing, its a bad trans to have. Is completely computer controlled, which isnt necessarily a bad thing. But the clutch-on-clutch designs does bode well for fast shifts. It will, at some point, try to do a quick shft, and get caught in two gears at once, and its toast. Theres some fast Duramaxes out there, and guess which auto some of the fastest have? It aint an Allison. Its none other than a "POS" Dodge trans. Either a 47rh/re or 48re.

I dont really think the Allison is bad, I just dont like how it shifts from the factory. Im sure with more pressure and a converter, it shifts much better.

From what Ive heard, those that know trannies and have torn into the new 68rfe, its just a beefy if not more so than an Allison. And the Aison is found in medium duty commercial trucks, same as the Cummins engine and the Allison. Ive yet to hear about on failing...sorry for the long post. If thats not what you were going to ask, ask away...

Last edited by scatpack_69; 01-27-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 AM
'04 Cummins

Thanks Scatpack. You answered my poorly worded question.

I don't know anything about how the inside of any transmision works. I just know from my real world experience, it seems the allison holds up better, so I was curious to why you would still seem partial to a 48RE.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by '04 Cummins
Thanks Scatpack. You answered my poorly worded question.

I don't know anything about how the inside of any transmision works. I just know from my real world experience, it seems the allison holds up better, so I was curious to why you would still seem partial to a 48RE.
No problem man...actually, after having a built aftermarket transmission, I think all stock transmission suck! Haha. Defiantely a better trans after being modified. MUCH better!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
transguy37
Professional

Hello,

Don't worry the Allison's are failing. No, the Allison will not fit a Dodge. Dodge considered going with the Allison and decided to make there own tranny. If you haven't herd yet, it came out this year. It's called a 68RFE. Ford did the same thing and turn down Allison and made there own and called it the 5R110W. Now Gm is talking about doind away with the Allison. They are having trouble with it, I have built my fair share of them. The 48RE is a wonderful trans, my favorite of the Dodge. They no longer make this trans as of 08', so enjoy them while you have them. The new 68RFE is a clutch to clutch tranny based of the A604 trans that first come out in 89 in the caravan. Can't do much with it. If the 48RE is built right it will pull anything an Allison will and last longer.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:30 PM
nitrospaz

Again, the allison CAN be mated to a cummins. seen it done a hundred times. is it cost effective? No, probably not, but it still can be done. just have to swap bell housings on motor and tranny, maby a diffrent torque converter and get a computer that will work for the combo. still, it can be done just probably isnt cost effective.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Allison transmission?