Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission band adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 AM
tiger63
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission band adjustment

What should this cost at a stealership or can it be done elsewhere. I have a 2000 3500 with 115,000 on the clock and wonder if this should be a maintence thing to do?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM
lesimon
Professional

I just did my transmission service last weekend. When I first bought the truck I had the dealer service the transmission for $250 now they charge $450. I bought a deep pan and serviced the transmission myself, with an after market transmission pan I can now drain the oil by removing the plug.
1) I removed the pan
2) changed filter
3) re-torqued valve body bolts
4) adjust both bands
5) flushed 20 litres of ATF+4 through torque converter and coolers

Servicing the transmission is not that difficult, having a resonable place to do the work is the biggest issue.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 AM
tiger63
Rookie

Thanks for the info, however with the pan off where do you adjust the bands yourself?
I change the filter and replace the 4 quarts that are lost. Had the dealer service the trans
at 80,000 miles flush and replace all the oil with new I don't think they removed the pan
however.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
lesimon
Professional

I downloaded a maintenance service manual on a CD from the Hemi Club Web site. I printed out the task that I wanted to accomplish, the cd has over 8,000 pages of technical information on maintenance. The band adjustment is explained well and includes pictures where they are located; 1) one band is adjusted by removing the transmission oil pan 2) the other is on the outside drivers side of the transmission.
I flushed my transmission by 1)filling the newly installed pan with new ATF+4 fluid, 2) removed the return line from the transmission cooler back to the transmission, 3) ran the truck in gear for short time in gear. 4) repeated process untill I had 20 liters of old oil in bucket from transmission return line from coolers.

Quick Reply: Transmission band adjustment