Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Ball Joint Replacement

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Mizzoumarine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to start off by saying, Steve, EXCELLENT job on this DIY. This post is the reason I am trying to do this on my own. Keyword being "trying". I have the press you ordered from harbor freight. It hasn't bent too bad YET and I'm struggling with the lower ball joint on my 04 2500 CTD. I have heated the lower joint receptacle on the outside, bottle jacked it w a 12 TON bottle jack and lifts the entire truck, hammered, pried to no avail. I NEED to get this truck mobile tomorrow and I'm struggling. This combat Marine thanks any and all in advance for any tips tricks or pointers! God bless!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

I would bet it is the press that is failing... when I did mine a buddy loaned me his OTC press and it came out easier. Cant think of anything to suggest beyond getting a better press.

I would however suggest putting the new ones in the freezer and keep them there until they are going in. supposedly that helps with the install of the new ones. I had no problems getting mine in without freezing them.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM
ChevyEddie
Default help with ball joints

I dont mean to be insulting you probably already checked this, but when i did mine on my 04 2500, I used the rental tool from Advanced auto, (it was beafier than the harbor frieght one) and it came with like 15 adapters.
well the one i chose was actually to big and i was pressing against the yolk rather than the ball joint itself, once i swithced to a smaller adapter, mine came right out. I assure you i checked mine too but what got me was it was so rusted that there was an extra lip that was part of the yolk not part of the ball joint. And even with the beafier ball joint press i still bent it and i used a breaker bar and a pipe to crank on it.
the second thing you have probably already done is spray the heck out of it with PB Blaster, that seamed to work for me on my rusted 04. I hope you are successful good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM
ChevyEddie
Default Steve Thanks

OH, and Steve and others, this post is what made me succesful with mine. Cant thank You enough.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

Ah, you just reminded me of something worth mentioning Eddie... Anti-sieze the threads on the threads of the ball joint tool may help... Someone mentioned that earlier.

Also, I bent an Autozone tool as well. they are not worth it. I suggest going to a higher end tool rental place to find the OTC one.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM
rracer5

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Ah, you just reminded me of something worth mentioning Eddie... Anti-sieze the threads on the threads of the ball joint tool may help... Someone mentioned that earlier.

Also, I bent an Autozone tool as well. they are not worth it. I suggest going to a higher end tool rental place to find the OTC one.
Ditto on the anti-sieze on the ball joint tool. Also, start spraying the parts on the truck a few days before with PB or Liquid Wrench etc. Auto Zone loaner tools are made by OTC and there are 2 sets of ball joint presses. One for cars and a heavy duty one for trucks. Then you should get the 4WD service set (adaptors) to go with it.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
synner

I ended up getting the JET Tools press kit for 4x4 and Heavy Duty vehicles. Worked awesome. Bit of a bite to purchase but we have 3 of these trucks and it has more then paid for itself.

http://www.jetequipment.com/en/produ...7&groupid=1797

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Mizzoumarine

Sorry to reply late like this. Thank you all for your help. I got it done at the last possible second. A little heat and kept on the press and finally they came out. They sure went in a lot easier especially with freezing them. Thanks again fellas!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
ChevyEddie

Glad you got it fixed

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Mizzoumarine

Here's a new development. Since the new ball joints are in on the FP side, all was well and riding very well down the road. I was transferred to another job in WY and on the way up, if I got over 65mph and hit a stiff bump, the truck would go into a death wobble on the front. I'd slow down and it would be fine until I got over 65 and hit a stiff bump. Needless to say that was a long drive! My FP tire is now horribly cupped on the outside and BALD. Could I have possibly installed something incorrectly, I've doublechecked everything as far ad being tight or should I find my answer in another thread? Thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Ball Joint Replacement