Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Check Engine Light blinks 10 times, three others lights not illuminating

Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
bataradena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light blinks 10 times, three others lights not illuminating

HELP!
I just purchased a uses 2006, 2500 quad cab 4X4 truck with the Cummins Diesel engine and I’m wondering about Check Engine Light and about there others lights on my instrument panel that appears not to be working.

The Check Engine Lights turns on, steady light for about 15 seconds, and then flashes 10 times, then returns back to a steady light. User manual reads “Five Flashes” means “Not Read for Emission”, but I’m getting “Ten Flashes”. Is this a real problem or has this been changed with the updated ECM code that was programmed sometime before my purchase?

Next question: I also noticed after the key is first turned on, with the engine not started, most lights are illuminating but three lights are not….

1 Wait to Start Indicator
2 Water in Fuel Indicator
3 SERV 4WD Indicator

Is this normal, or is there a way to test the lights to make sure they are working or do I have a problem that needs further investigation.

Thanks for the help
Byron

Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

You are being too paranoid. My truck does all the same stuff and has since it was new. The wait to start light only comes on when all the temp sensors are indicating 59 degrees (aprox.) or lower. I have heard of people that didn't have the water in fuel light working and put in a brand new instrument cluster, and it still didn't work. If that light ever does come on, you're F'd any way. It's already too late and damage has been done. Never had the SERV 4WD light work on mine either.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Start with the key in the off position, turn it to the on position but don't go all the way to start, turn it off, on, off, on rapidly. Then look at the odometer. If there are any codes stored in the computer they will show up in the odometer. If there are no codes or the codes have finish it will read -----done----.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
bataradena
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrianSudokhoi02
You are being too paranoid. My truck does all the same stuff and has since it was new. The wait to start light only comes on when all the temp sensors are indicating 59 degrees (aprox.) or lower. I have heard of people that didn't have the water in fuel light working and put in a brand new instrument cluster, and it still didn't work. If that light ever does come on, you're F'd any way. It's already too late and damage has been done. Never had the SERV 4WD light work on mine either.

Paranoid is a good word... Never owned a new vehicle with the OBD-II. I did purchase a OBD-II scanner double checked the DTC and then erased the codes. After a 30 mile drive to work no new DTC, but the CEL still blinks ten times not five as noted in the user manual. I read in another thread about a person could induced a fault my stalling the truck while in gear (I have 6 speed). I have don this twice sense owning the truck for two weeks.

As for the "Wait to start light", "SERV 4WD" and the "Water In Fuel Indicator" as in your truck, these light do not come one during the Custer Light check? Do I have this correct?.

Thanks for the rely
Byron T

Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

The wait to start light should come on during the cluster light check

Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 AM
imacpc
Cool hwo to TEST your instrument cluster and guages

press n hole the trip odometer and move the key to ACC
it will reset/center all guages and turn on all lights
this i found in the manual

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light blinks 10 times, three others lights not illuminating