Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Pump Question

Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Dieseldog1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Question

Howdy gents. New user so bear with me. Just purchased a 2000 Ram 2500
4X4 with the 5.9 Cummins, and 137000 miles. Been lurking for awhile and using the search feature quite extensively. Is it the in tank fuel pump (if so equipped) or the lift pump on the block next to the injection pump that fails and kills the VP44? Wasn't really clear to me which one was failing most often. Being that I will be keeping this thing stock, is the Air Dog more in line with what I need or is the FASS a better option. Seems to me an Air Dog was recommended for a bone stock setup. After reading about the death code for the pump I figure it should be first on the priority list. Man if I would have known Dodge had this nice of an offering I would have bought one years ago. Thanks for any input you fellers might have.

John.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lift pump is in the block behind the vp44 if its stock, a few years ago there was an update, to put the pump in the tank if the one on the block failed, so it could have either or... i run a fass system, and either one you get will be better than a stock pump IMO

Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Dieseldog1

Cool. Looks like I had better get that done soon then. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i also went with the FASS setup...injection pump just started to fail on me and gave me the P0216 code...

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Dieseldog1

Originally Posted by hemiyellow
yeah i also went with the FASS setup...injection pump just started to fail on me and gave me the P0216 code...
Where did you order yours from? I have been looking around at different websites and I can't seem to find whether the pumps tie into the existing lines and harness or do they come with their own seperate fuel lines and electrical parts.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

i got mine from KLM Performance...it comes with all new fuel lines and everything....don't use any of the stock lines....i'm putting mine in this weekend along with the VP44...i'll let ya know how it goes

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Silvr_Cummins
Rookie

i run an airdog on my 05, and no they arent meant for a bone stock truck, they are recomended for a modified truck so that you dont drain the rail of fuel on newer trucks.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

well i got the injection pump and FASS in saturday night..took me about 5 1/2 hrs to do it all....fuel pump wasn't bad really...had to partially drop the tank but the was the hardest part...would deffinitly recommend the FASS tho, i'm running around 23 PSI at idle with the FASS

Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Dieseldog1

Originally Posted by hemiyellow
well i got the injection pump and FASS in saturday night..took me about 5 1/2 hrs to do it all....fuel pump wasn't bad really...had to partially drop the tank but the was the hardest part...would deffinitly recommend the FASS tho, i'm running around 23 PSI at idle with the FASS
Got it ordered this afternoon. Got the 95 GPH pump, extra filters and the 1/2" pick up tube. Have a question for yah though. Looking at buying gauges next. The gauges that I was looking at are the Diprocol gauges. If the fuel pressure sender mounts on the stock filter housing and it will be bypassed with the addition of the fass, is there a place on the injection pump to mount the sender? Maybe I'm just looking at that wrong. Thanks for the help with the website! That was pretty painless. I can turn a wrench like nobodys business but put me in front of a computer and I'm lost...LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Question