Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trans OD and electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 AM
rsandman_2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans OD and electrical problem?

I have a 1995 2500 4x4 with automatic. Recently the truck began doing some different things. I've had the truck for a couple of months and until I replaced the radio things have been okay.
The first instance, that tach was jumping all over the place, wouldn't shift into OD and the CEL kept coming on. The next morning all seemed okay.
The past two days the tach has either jumped around or not worked at times. On the way to work yesterday the tach quit working, trans wouldn't shift to OD, the ammeter is swinging all over the place and eventually settles out (no OD after this) and the radio and turn indicators quit working. Pulled off the road, shut it down and tried to restart. Sounded like I had dead batteries. Looked under hood to see if belt was gone, it isn't, got back into truck and it cranked up like nothing was wrong. Today, tach is all over the place, won't shift into OD after a few minutes, can turn truck off while coasting and restart. will get OD for a few moments then back to 3rd gear, ammeter is all over the place for a bit. Noticed that the WATER IN FUEL, WAIT TO START, TRANS TEMP lights were going on and off as well as CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, but only for a few moments, then they quit.
What have I done? Is it possible that I've bumped something during the radio install that would affect the OD?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 AM
tiger63
Rookie

Check to see if you have a good ground connection in your electrical system.

Remove all battery cable ends from the battries clean, the inside of all female connectors.

brush the male battery posts back to shiney, reconnect all cables see if that does not clear up your problem.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Just to add to what tiger said.....

Check ALL your ground connections. Chassis, engine, and body.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

faulty ignition switch..

Old 05-12-2010, 11:36 PM
rsandman_2000

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I've not yet got under the hood or any other place to check grounding points. I did take it to the local Dodge dealer and they've said the crank position sensor is faulty, and that the transmission is indicating a problem. Like $4400 dollars of them replacing the trans problem. They were to have received and installed the crank sensor today, but the part didin't make it on the delivery truck, go figure. It should be in tomorrow by noon. Oh, I see, I'll just get up and bring it up there in the middle of my "night time". I work nights, just not cool of them.

They told me when I picked up the truck today that the trans was "shuddering" when they slowed down, like it wasn't shifting out of third gear. (wasn't doing that when I dropped it off) So, I drive it around a bit and decide to take it the local transmission shop that's been around for years. Mention to the guy behind the counter what the truck is doing. He said sounds like the torque converter is locking up. (lightbulb) Previous owner had installed a switch to "lockup" the torque converter... Went and checked and wouldn't you know, the switch is in the on position. Either there are bungling techs at the dodge dealer or they're screwing around with stuff they shouldn't in a person's vehicle.

The saga will continue.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 AM
pizzo
All Star

a 95 I got dibbs that the Alt. is going bad.. early years if it had a tach it was hooked to the Alt. and that is how the tach worked via a signal from the Alt..
I could be wrong... just a thought and something to Check out

Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 AM
rsandman_2000

That's been a thought in the back of my mind as well as the regulator. I did slide underneath and look at the connections for the battery grounds Thursday when I had it at an independent Trans Shop. The connections look good.

Last edited by rsandman_2000; 05-14-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans OD and electrical problem?